X

Would you trust this shop?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you trust this shop?

Now, being a car dealer I'm intimately aware of the upsells of the auto repair industry (like the ridiculous $800 brake job that I get done for $225).....but whne i comes to bikes I'm not so well versed.

A conversation with the closest Suzuki service dept. has left me a little weary of taking the bike there, but they are the only service shop within 75 miles.

I called and asked about a 7500 mile service on my 1991 750 kat with 7600 miles. The rep told me they don't have a flat 7500 miles service, and said my valves probably don't need to be adjusted, but if I wanted to drop it off they would listen to it to see if it needs it.

He said they don't go by book time (which in my experience is usually a good thing), but he said they charge $59 an hour to adjust the valves and sync the carbs. He's ok with bringing it up without the plastics on.

I'm torn....It sounds like an ok deal to brig the bike up naked and pay for the "business" part of it and not for plastic teardown time, but he was also overly intent on explaining how involved and intricate the process was, like having to change the valve shims (my motor has screws right).....he was probably trying to elude to big labor bill.

Would you trust this shop or not? How many hours of labor should it be for a seasoned mechanic to adjust the valves and sync a naked 1991 750?

I'm edging towards doing it myself, but none of the pic tutorials have me confident enough to try it.

1. Your not shimed for that engine (my 93 750 isn't).

2. Took my wife less than 30 mins to take off the cover, do the adjustment, and put the cover back on.

3. You already did most of the work, it should be down and back up in under an hour for an experianced tech.

4. Just do it yourself already...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Agreed , you need to learn to tool it.
      Paying a shop for minor stuff is a waste of money for anyone with a little hand-eye coordination and knowledge from here / a great book and all.
      Scotty Doesn't Know ...Scotty Doesn't Know.. Don't Tell Scotty

Comment

diy buddy

Comment

The FIRST thing you need to ask that shop is "How can you listen to it & know if it needs a valve adjustment or not? Can you hear TIGHT valves?" That shuts them up! I am an ex Suzuki dealer mechanic & if the shop won't work by BOOK time, take your money elsewhere before you get ripped off. Are you in SoCal by chance? I'll help you if you are! Ray.
          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

First of all, the valves have to be set when the engine is dead cold. That means it's going to sit in the shop overnight. Sync has to be done when the engine is fully warmed up. That means you run it for a bit (Like around town for 10-15 minutes) after setting the valves. Is this something you want to leave to a shop that doesn't even know that your Kat doesn't have shims?

Neither job is particularly tough (thank goodness for adjustable tappets) and is easily worth doing yourself. Hardest part is fiddling with two feeler gauges at once to get the valves right. (I think the next time I do my valves I'll cut down a couple feelers so I can just leave one under one side of the tappet while I adjust the other.) As for the sync, the price of a Morgan CarbTune (a premium tool) is still less than you'll pay for labor if you have the shop do the job.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, and the offer Ray, but I'm half a world away in Northern NY.....I can pee onto Canadian soil with a tailwind.

I think I'm going to take my dress off and go DIY. I'm going to be pretty darn busy the next couple weeks so I wanted to take the easy way out....but I need to sync the carbs as well, and I have a skip/hesitation cranking to WOT, so I'm guessing I'll just tackle it all in one shot.

Comment

If you're going to be too busy to get started for a couple of weeks, use some of that time to order up a Morgan CarbTune. If you can find one on flea-bay for cheap, great but it's not too bad just ordering direct from Morgan. I got mine direct from them and got the nylon case, too. Keeps everything together in the drawer and protects everything really nicely. Figure it's good insurance on the tool.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                X