No announcement yet.
X

Bad Gas????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you just stick a flash light in the gas tank and take a look see!

It is not that hard and you may find that it is a problem that needs to be addressed even if it does not relate to what is going on now.

Man you are stubborn
    89' Katana 600

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

The bike died on me last night at 4am on the way home!
      I was going crazy! I was stranded and had to push the damn bike nearly 2 miles to the nearest gas station, because I thought it ran outta gas or the battery was flooded. I nearly tipped the bike over from exhaustion at one point I was so tired.
      Eventually I left it overnight at the gas station, and in the morning, I even tried jumping it with my car. no luck.
      So I called my friend and picked him up and we took a look at it today.
      We didnt know what was wrong with it. Our main thought was the carbs were synced wrong and the floats maybe were stuck. The shop was closed of course, and I must of emptied a whole can of starting fluid to keep the bike moving on the way to his house! Kept dying every 100 feet, and we would have to take the seat off and respray with the fluid just to get it going again! We even blew out the main fuse trying to start it too much. Luckily I had spares. Finally we got it to the house, removed the left fairing and gas tank and finally...

You were right. The answer is:

B) "Kinked fuel line between the petcock and the carbs"

(Fuel Starvation).

They put the fuel line hose BACKWARDS and it was crimped!
      THAT'S why the engine was starving for fuel!
      Nothing to do with 'bad gas' or water in the gas tank! (the mechanic's opinions)
      The stupid mechanics SLAPPED on my gas tank so FAST, they STRIPPED one of the bolts holding it down, so it made it almost impossible to even remove the tank to find out the problem.
      We had to saw off the stripped bolt. It got so hot it flew and hit my friend in the chest and burned him. The line was so crimped, barely any fuel was getting to the motor. And they also put on some weak bogus clamp on one of the hoses that looked like it was about to fall off.
      I can't believe those mechanics were so careless. We could have blown the engine hadn't we found out. It was really running lean. They probably would have overlooked it had I brought it back, and just tried to reclean the carbs again thinking I clogged them up again with 'bad gas'.
      I was so pissed today, I don't even know what to say to that shop this week about this. Screwed up my whole weekend.
      but glad we finally found the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
        We could have blown the engine hadn't we found out. It was really running lean.
        The odds of you blowing the engine due to running too lean from the kinked fuel line were about the same as you picking a winning lottery ticket this week. Running it on starting fluid that long might be a different story...

The clamps that are on the fuel line are just little ring-snap clamps, and those are fine. Proper screw-down clamps actually tend to dig into the rubber and do more damage.

And as for the rest of it (and this may sound harsh, but it should be taken like a dad dressing-down a teen: there's a lesson here) -- a number of us told you what it could be, what it was, and yet you choose to ride it anyway without fixing it (or even investigating further). I'm just glad it was your fuel and not your brakes that were acting up, or you'd be posting from a hospital bed probably. Your two mile push was your punishment (self-inflicted).

Glad you got it resolved. Next time, be pro-active: bikes are dangerous enough without mechanical issues -- no need to stack the odds against yourself. If it had bogged out on you at a point when you desperately needed to get out of the way of something, it might have turned out far worse.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

"Running it on starting fluid that long might be a different story..."

Thats what I meant about almost blowing the engine. We couldnt tell it was the fuel line first as we couldn't get the GAS TANK off to fix the problem. But we emptied out the whole can of starter fluid to get it home.

"The clamps that are on the fuel line are just little ring-snap clamps, and those are fine. Proper screw-down clamps actually tend to dig into the rubber and do more damage."

No I know what the stock clamps look like. They were still on there. But there was another newer clamp they put on there that was even weaker and narrower than the stock ones and damn near was almost off. It looked weaker than a hairpin.

"And as for the rest of it (and this may sound harsh, but it should be taken like a dad dressing-down a teen: there's a lesson here) -- a number of us told you what it could be, what it was, and yet you choose to ride it anyway without fixing it (or even investigating further). I'm just glad it was your fuel and not your brakes that were acting up, or you'd be posting from a hospital bed probably. Your two mile push was your punishment (self-inflicted)."

No it wasn't imo. As soon as I heard the initial problem, which was friday night / around 4am, I brought it immediatly to the shop the very next morning. They test rode it for over 5 minutes on the highway and lucky for them the crimped line didn't act up at the time of the highway test run (problem would fluctuate on and off). So they deduced it was the gas. Of course to me, their opinion > than mine since theyre professionals so why would I question it. But theres no excuse for them stripping the gas tank bolt and leaving it like that or putting on the fuel line WRONG and leaving a kink in it. Which I would have never found out hadnt it been for my friends cutter. Not to mention they pretty much blew me off with my suggestion of leaving the bike there anyway on Saturday which I was willing to do. They just wanted me out of there so they could work on the newer arrivals that day instead of fixing my problem. Only reason I even rode it home was it was at my friends house the whole weekend and he lives 5 miles away from me on a straight away.

Thanks for the help though in these posts.

Comment

Working...
          X