X

Chain Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Question

since i am on a tight budget i am trying to hold off on buying a new chain since i am pretty sure the one i have is shot. but i have a did chain sitting around from one of the bikes i dismantled its straight and in good shape except that it has rust on it, now the question is can i clean it and use it?

my answer will probably not be the same as others, but i am also the type who uses stuff until they are completely finished....as in canvas showing on tires, pads just about to do damage to discs (but not quite), and chains until they are sloppy as hell and/or binding. so I say use it. just lube the crap outta it.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

soak it in kerosene (it's about an equal to WD-40 but not nearly as expensive) wire-brush all the loose rust off you can, then .... as it's been said...lub'er up good

Comment

Clean it and see if any link are frozen . Take a close look at the o-rings and see if there's any visible damage (since it's off the bike , that seems like it'd be easy enough) . If it's just surface rust , I don't see the big deal . Mine has rust on it right now .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
          Clean it and see if any link are frozen . Take a close look at the o-rings and see if there's any visible damage (since it's off the bike , that seems like it'd be easy enough) . If it's just surface rust , I don't see the big deal . Mine has rust on it right now .
          Note that the lube used in most O-ring/X-ring chains is a bright red color from the clay binders used in the lube; if it looks like rust has seeped from the link seals, replace it. Surface rust on the sideplates? No big deal.

PS - poor? JC Whitney carries a 530 O-ring chain for about $40.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X