fuel tank leak ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank leak ??

Hi,

I have a fuel tank leak. corner of the tank ( probably pin -hole size ).

Is this repairable ?? someone recommended a "rad shop ",
    others said replacing it.

Please give suggestions.
    Leaking as we speak.

thanks
    hbc
    Brampton, ON
    Canada

I would try and find a new tank. welding a fuel tank can be dangerous. the jb weld would work as a temporary fix.

Comment

Originally posted by slow50
      well, if you want to do it the redneck way you could always use jb weld, I've personally used it on crank case covers on old 4 wheelers that I've used
      Nuff said, Redneck

Comment

Originally posted by slow50
        By the way, how did you get a hole in your tank??
        Yeah, what made the hole? If it rusted through, get a new tank.

/kiba
        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

jb weld should last a good long time, much cheaper than a new tank.

Comment

Not sure how the leak got there, i bought the bike used. I've had it for about 3months now, and it had gas smell about 2 weeks ago, just started dripping yesterday.

Thanks for all the tips, will post results.

hbc

Comment

Hey , JB Weld is WONDERFUL stuff . I've also heard about treating the tank with some kind of liner , but usually you de-rust it first ...
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Ok, i ended up taking it to a place where they specialize in gas tanks. For cars, they can coat it and offer lifetime warranty on it.

Anyways, they recommended to weld the area (patch ) and flush - deposits in the gas tank.
                $80 cdn.

I found a place that had a use tank selling for $250cdn plus taxes, different color and without the petcock.

So, i went with the $80. Gonna get a newer bike in the next 2 years or so.

Thanks for all the help !!

hbc

Comment

JB-weld it until you get hold of a used tank in good condition.

I would guess your hole is at the rear end of the tank, where the seat meets the tank; and that it's a rust hole - I had several in my old tank (I found a used tank in good condition on eBay for 1 € = about $1.50 can)... I would beware of keeping it (even shop repaired), since the rust probably ate away a lot of the metal, so you will have more holes very soon (well before 2 years).

Will you get the lifetime warranty on your tank?
                  - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

I think they will give lifetime warranty if i went with their "coating the interior" of the tank.

Not sure about the welding. I will find out next week when i pick it up.

hbc

Comment

For the future:

Coating the interior with POR-15 will eliminate the leaks and seal the inside.

The problem with a pin-hole leak is that if it's not accident damage, odds are that there are a bunch of other areas around the same level in the tank that are also right on the borderline of failure, and a single drop in a parking lot (or even worse - at speed) will easily puncture those spots and let a ton of fuel out.

IMHO: if you have a rust-through spot, replace the tank with one off ebay or buy a new one.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've used the POR15 kit on my GS700/1100 and it works like a charm.
                        '98 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                        X