Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What is a Jet Kit? How would I know If I had one?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Jet Kit? How would I know If I had one?

What exacly is a Jet kit and what is the difference between stage 1-3? I bought my bike used and when I took it to the Mechanic for a tune up he told me that since my bike was jetted my carbs needed to be synced but I have been ripped of many times and dont believe anything he says. How would I tell if my bike is jetted or not?

Easiest way is to pop off a diaphram cover and pull out the needle . If it has slots in it , it's jetted . One slot=stock . OR you could take the carbs completely off and look underneath and see if you can find the pilot screw . If you can see it , then they been tinkered with (stock they have little EPA plugs over them) .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

A jetkit is a set of replacement parts for your carbs that increases the fuel delivery ratios to maximize the power-output of a particular configuration of the engine. The configurations are ref'd to by the stage numbers.
      See DynoJet - Jetkit stages explained (bottom of the page) for more details.
      Since bike manufacturers have to pass EPA/DOT requirements for both exhaust values and noise levels, the OEM jetting is often intentionally weak at certain test RPM levels. The jetkits get around this since they don't have to conform to the same test requirements (and come with a disclaimer that they are for "off-road" or "track" use only -- not that anyone pays attention).

There are two firms that I know of offering jetkits for the pre-98 Kats (DynoJet and FactoryPro; K&N-labeled kits are DynoJet kits relabeled), and three firms offering 98+ jetkits (Ivan's performance products, DynoJet and FactoryPro; again K&N kits are DynoJet kits relabled).

MD86 is right on the simplest way to tell: look at the needles -- the top of the needle will have a single notch cut into it for the stock needles and multiple notches (usually 4 to 6) for the aftermarket jetkits.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Maybe you could get one of those telescopic mirrors and try to get a look at the underside of the carbs without having to take anything off the bike . Save some time if it'd work ...

Comment

So where exacly are these needles? Under the carbs? or Above it by the gas tank?

Comment

Originally posted by m2736185
            So where exacly are these needles? Under the carbs? or Above it by the gas tank?
            Within the carb's, under the black caps that are on the top of the carbs. The carbs themselves are located directly under the gas tank.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sounding like a newbie to the world of bike mechanics .... you should maybe get someone else to help you with that if possible . REAL easy to lose some of the parts in there (that stupid o-ring in particular ) . If you can get a mirror and light under the carbs and look toward the front of one , you'll see a little round hole/cap near where the carbs go into the intakes . THAT would tell you with little risk of messing anything up .

Comment

Working...
              X