X

Temporary fuel supply

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary fuel supply

What do you guys use as a temporary fuel supply when synch-ing the carbs? Haynes suggest a 'gear oil' bottle with a hose, but I don't have one. It also says to use an extra long fuel hose to the fuel tank, but again, I don't have an extra long hose to use.

Just looking for some pointers on the setup for a carb synch...

Thanks!
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

This past weekend when I sync'd my carbs I unbolted the tank and rotated it sideways and pulled it back just a bit. It was sitting on the airbox. I had to be very careful not to bind any hoses, and it wasn't as easy to reach the adjusting screws especially the middle of the 3 because it faces towards the rear. Fortunately my 1/2 and 3/4 matched up so I didn't have to adjust that one, but if you did I'd imagine you'd have to hold the tank up or whatever.

Another idea that I've done is to use my bike stand to "hang" the tank above the bike enough to adjust. It's not your typical bike stand, but one made out of 1" galvanized pipe that simply has two uprights and a cross bar. I run straps under the tank to hang it with, and I'll zip-tie the sync too up on the cross bar too. This pulls the guages away from the vibrating bike which is good too. I used to just sit the guages on the triple tree.
    I'm at work now but if you want I can put a pic up of the stand when I get home. Others have made them too so maybe someone else will have one.
    '01 TL1000R

Comment

Fuel hose is cheap . Last time I did mine , there was enough hose that I could move the tank to a table right next to the bike and go about my buisiness . Just go get some extra fuel line .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I use a mustard bottle/ketchup bottle, plastic with a screw on top and the plastic stem that come out of the top. Works pretty well for a fuel supply.

Comment

Last time I just warmed the bike up with the tank on, shut it off, removed the tank, and started it back up without a tank. There is enough fuel in the lines to run it long enough to sync them.

Later in the day, I noticed that the vent on one of my red plastic 1-gal. gas cans looked to be just the right size for the fuel line...

Originally posted by CoNViCT
          I use a mustard bottle/ketchup bottle, plastic with a screw on top and the plastic stem that come out of the top. Works pretty well for a fuel supply.
          That would work for a while, but a vacuum would build after a while and stop the flow; you would need to add a vent to allow air in to replace the gas that's being drawn out.

/kiba
          find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas all
            "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

go to any auto parts store, fuel line is hella cheap. Corey built a fuel tank out of PVC pipe, thats what we use.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

I grab a one gallon fuel can and put it up on a shelf or on a tall chain and run a spare fuel line (has to run downhill!) to the carbs. No need for anything fancier. $6 between the can and the fuel line.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use a 20oz. coke bottle with a bulkhead tee fitting mounted through the cap. 2 pieces of fuel tubing runs to each pair of carbs. Fill the bottle with gas, put the top on, flip it over and hang it off the bars.
                  Eric
                  2005 GSX-R 750

Comment

Working...
                  X