X

CONVERTING PARTS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONVERTING PARTS

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHETHER OR NOT I CAN CONVERT GSXR PARTS, LIKE FOR INSTANCE, WILL GSXR CARBS BOLT ON TO MY KAT FOR MORE PROFORMANCE? IF ANYONE KNOWS STUFF ABOUT THIS LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeeps and Katanas are all you need to live, you have the off road experience on one side, then you can go home and tear down the street. Plus girls like jeeps and bikes. Looking to upgrade my 600, anyone who knows mods on my bike, let me knwo some things I can do to make it faster. [email protected]

If you're looking for a bike that's as fast as an SS bike , it'll be cheaper in the long run to just BUY an SS bike .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

B-12..

Comment

Re: CONVERTING PARTS

Originally posted by KATANA600BLUE
        CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHETHER OR NOT I CAN CONVERT GSXR PARTS, LIKE FOR INSTANCE, WILL GSXR CARBS BOLT ON TO MY KAT FOR MORE PROFORMANCE? IF ANYONE KNOWS STUFF ABOUT THIS LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
        I've covered this a number of times, but it really sounds like I need to again...

The modern GSXR is a purpose-built bike whose primary design-purpose is track performance. It weighs 100 lbs less than the Katana, uses water-cooling to suck away heat faster from the engine (which permits higher compression ratios and higher heat building caused by higher RPM ceilings), uses lighter reciprocating parts (the parts that move) to give it a higher RPM ceiling.

The Katana (GSXF) is also a purpose-built bike, but one whose purpose is real world riding comfort and reliability (sport-tourer). It's longer and weighs more, which gives it more straight-line stability at speed and better ability to suck up bad pavement (better unsprung vs sprung weight ratios). The katana is oil cooled (sheds the need for water pump, water radiator, thermostat, water, all sources of additional maintenance and failures on the road), has a lower compression ratio (good for engine longevity). The current generation Katana has bigger fairings (better wind & weather protection), and is more comfortable for most riders.

You may also want to read this thread on water vs. oil-air cooled engines: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10071

There is simply no way to bolt items from a modern GSXR onto a Katana and get it to suddenly be as zippy as the GSXR; there are too many differences that can't be readily changed (like the weight). Additionally, almost all current-generation GSXR parts won't fit -- and those that do are unlikely to give you any power benefit.

You have a few options:

(A) You can install a substancially bigger engine into the Katana (such as an 1100 or 1200 engine), which increases the total power output of the bike by replacing the motor... This will add a lot of power, but still won't carve 100 lbs off your bike (actually, you'll be adding some weight).

(B) You can redo the existing engine (wiseco engine kits) to increase both the displacement and compression ratios, netting you more power (such as WiseCo's 771 or 813cc kits). This will increase your power levels, but still won't carve that extra 100 lbs off the bike.

(C) You can add some power to the existing engine by adding in a jetkit, an ignition advancer, possibly some intake and exhaust modifications, BUT ALL OF THESE WILL ONLY NET YOU MINOR INCREASES.

(D) You can resprocket the front and rear sprockets, which will trade off some top speed for faster off-the-line times.

or what I would recommend for you, based on this and other posts:
        (E) Sell you Kat. Buy a GSXR. It is the bike you really seem to want.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          I've covered this a number of times, but it really sounds like I need to again...
          Oh come on you love it!!!

Comment

Nope, nothing modern.. and it wouldn't help.

Comment

Take off the center stand...that will reduce weight..but like Cyber said...if you want a GSXR then your best bet is to buy one...I agree the Kat is a ton more comfortable to ride...now one thing I did hear my mechanic say is some people replaced the Kat cam with a GSXR cam and it gave substancially more power to the Kat engine..any truth to that???...but you still have that 100lbs difference or 80lbs if you remove the center stand...
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Jax, I find it doubious that just swapping cams will net you more power (because the GSXR cam lift & duration is actually designed for an engine that revs substancially higher and doesn't make peak power until the RPM ceiling for the Kat has already been hit)...

As for the centerstand, I recall someone weighing it and saying 8.5 lbs or so... You can put your Kat on a diet, but it's not going to lose 100 lbs no matter how hard you starve it.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

how much power does the WiseCo's 771 or 813cc kits produce in comparison to the engine swaps? i only weigh 135. my buddy has a 2004 600 gsxr and weighs 190. sooooo 55- 8 (center stand) =47 more lbs to knock off. hummmmm 1 gallon of gas weighs 7 lbs........

Comment

Originally posted by smoubara
                    how much power does the WiseCo's 771 or 813cc kits produce in comparison to the engine swaps? i only weigh 135. my buddy has a 2004 600 gsxr and weighs 190. sooooo 55- 8 (center stand) =47 more lbs to knock off. hummmmm 1 gallon of gas weighs 7 lbs........
                    I don't have hard numbers, but if you search for dyno charts, I'm sure you can find them. The increase in compression ratios on those kits is much more significant than the increase in displacements... If I had to guess, it'd go something like this:
                    Stock GSX600F (11.2:1 ratio): 70 HP at the rear wheel
                    Stock GSX750F (10.5:1 ratio): 80 HP at the rear wheel
                    771cc (13:1 ratio): 93 HP at the rear wheel (my rough estimate)
                    813cc (12.5:1 ratio): 100 HP at the rear wheel (again, my rough estimate)
                    Stock Bandit 1200 (1157cc, 9.5:1 ratio) engine: 90 HP at the rear wheel (estimated) -- mods to this engine can yield 110 - 150 HP readily.

I'm sure some of the guys around here have these kits installed and can pop off dyno numbers for their own bikes, but remember that dyno numbers reflect a lot of variables (from chain condition to ambient temp & humidity, as well as tire size), so you can't compare one dyno's output to another's fairly.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

And every dyno is different . One dyno's 100hp may be another's 90-ish . I had mine dyno-ed back in spring and only showed 90hp . This is with a 771 , VERY poor jetting , and a chain that looked to be aligned by a blind monkey (oops ) . I've since read about another guys 771ed Kat getting a little over 100hp .

Comment

The modern GSXR is a purpose-built bike whose primary design-purpose is track performance. It weighs 100 lbs less than the Katana, uses water-cooling to suck away heat faster from the engine (which permits higher compression ratios and higher heat building caused by higher RPM ceilings), uses lighter reciprocating parts (the parts that move) to give it a higher RPM ceiling.

The Katana (GSXF) is also a purpose-built bike, but one whose purpose is real world riding comfort and reliability (sport-tourer). It's longer and weighs more, which gives it more straight-line stability at speed and better ability to suck up bad pavement (better unsprung vs sprung weight ratios). The katana is oil cooled (sheds the need for water pump, water radiator, thermostat, water, all sources of additional maintenance and failures on the road), has a lower compression ratio (good for engine longevity). The current generation Katana has bigger fairings (better wind & weather protection), and is more comfortable for most riders.

You may also want to read this thread on water vs. oil-air cooled engines: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10071

There is simply no way to bolt items from a modern GSXR onto a Katana and get it to suddenly be as zippy as the GSXR; there are too many differences that can't be readily changed (like the weight). Additionally, almost all current-generation GSXR parts won't fit -- and those that do are unlikely to give you any power benefit.

You have a few options:

(A) You can install a substancially bigger engine into the Katana (such as an 1100 or 1200 engine), which increases the total power output of the bike by replacing the motor... This will add a lot of power, but still won't carve 100 lbs off your bike (actually, you'll be adding some weight).

(B) You can redo the existing engine (wiseco engine kits) to increase both the displacement and compression ratios, netting you more power (such as WiseCo's 771 or 813cc kits). This will increase your power levels, but still won't carve that extra 100 lbs off the bike.

(C) You can add some power to the existing engine by adding in a jetkit, an ignition advancer, possibly some intake and exhaust modifications, BUT ALL OF THESE WILL ONLY NET YOU MINOR INCREASES.

(D) You can resprocket the front and rear sprockets, which will trade off some top speed for faster off-the-line times.

or what I would recommend for you, based on this and other posts:
                        (E) Sell you Kat. Buy a GSXR. It is the bike you really seem to want.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Wow!! You're really a poet.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                          Oh come on you love it!!!
                          He does, doesn't he?

That's ok.......I like reading it.
                          "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by smoubara
                            I don't have hard numbers, but if you search for dyno charts, I'm sure you can find them. The increase in compression ratios on those kits is much more significant than the increase in displacements... If I had to guess, it'd go something like this:
                            Stock GSX600F (11.2:1 ratio): 70 HP at the rear wheel
                            Stock GSX750F (10.5:1 ratio): 80 HP at the rear wheel
                            771cc (13:1 ratio): 93 HP at the rear wheel (my rough estimate)
                            813cc (12.5:1 ratio): 100 HP at the rear wheel (again, my rough estimate)
                            Stock Bandit 1200 (1157cc, 9.5:1 ratio) engine: 90 HP at the rear wheel (estimated) -- mods to this engine can yield 110 - 150 HP readily.
                            As far as the bandity 1200 numbers, Suzuki does list the stcok RH HP at around 90hp. Everyone I know with a B12 that has added pods, a jet kity, and a full exhaust is pulling right about 120hp at the rear wheel.

Dale Walkers Holeshot bandit 1200 has the following specs

Engine

Holeshot/JE 1216cc piston kit
                            Holeshot cylinder head porting & comp valve job
                            GSX-R intake cam
                            Holeshot Stage 2 jetting
                            Holeshot 5 degree timing advancer
                            Holeshot HD clutch spring

Exhaust

Holeshot complete stepped system with new high pipe

Dale is getting 150HP at the rear wheel with 96ft/lbs of torque

Comment

Huh , Motorcyclist has the B12 listed as 102hp and 78ft/lbs of torque , and everywhere I've read has the stock sen-fiddy Kat at between 90-95 hp stock :-k .....

Comment

Working...
                              X