X

Brake Bleeding 101

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Bleeding 101

Can anyone send me some good info on bleeding brake fluid? I would like to change mine but want to do it right due to the importance of the brakes to work correctly after I am done

Help with fork oil changing would be nice too!

Thanks!!!
    Not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine!

Get a good vacuum pump and bleed it that way.

as far as disposing of the fluid, I can't answer or the EPA will be knocking at my door LOL
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Brake fluid is just a very acidic (base?) hydraulic oil. Hence it can be recycled with standard motor oils -- recycle it in the same place you dispose of your motor oil (and I don't mean a dumpster or hole in the ground).

As for bleeding, here's what you need to know:

there are three ways of bleeding - standard (gravity/brake lever), plus forced top-down, and forced bottom-up. I will describe standard, because that's the way most people do it (unless the run into big problems).
      on your bike are bleeder valves for the calipers. If you replace these with SpeedBleeders (available via any dealer with a PartsUnlimited account), life will be much easier. SpeedBleeders are bleeder valves with an one-way check-valve built-in (permits things to come out, but nothing to go back in).
      doing the front left caliper? Put the bike on the sidestand. For the others (front right & rear), put bike on the centerstand or race stand.
      Required Tools: 7 or 8mm wrench (can't remember which off the top of my head), fresh brake fluid (never use brake fluid which has been opened for more than a month or so), eye protection.
      Suggested additional Tools: length of clear tubing that will fit over the bleeder nipple, plus an old spaghetti jar or mason jar. If used, place the tube over the nipple, put the far end of the tube in the mason jar and cover it with a bit of brake fluid. As you pump down, this will keep air from going back into the system.
      Directions:
      Put on the eye protection. Open the top of the brake fluid reservior. Fill with brake fluid. Have someone pump the brake, and then with the brake lever held down under force, open the bleeder valve at the bottom (caution: fluid may want to spray out if you're not using the tube method) and then close it again before all the pressure at the lever bleeds away. With the SpeedBleeders, the close procedure isn't necessary until you are done bleeding that side -- simply open 1/4 turn and pump your lever.
      Repeat pump-bleed cycle. Whenever the reservior gets down to 50% full, refill it. Keep doing this until you get fresh fluid out of the bleeder valve. Then move to the other bleeder valve for those brakes and repeat the whole process. When finished, make sure the brake fluid is filled up to the full mark and close off the reservior again.
      With the tube method, the air in the tube will bubble out first, and from that point on, only fluid should come out. If you see any bubbles comes out, keep bleeding, even if you are seeing fresh brake fluid (you still have bubbles in the system).

Remember, brake lines are rated for four years -- replace them at that point. The four year replacement schedule is based on both aging and wear from moving up/down/rotating as the wheels move -- you don't want to ever end up with unexpected brake failure.
      Brake fluid darkens or turns murky as it absorbs water content (and all brake lines permit some water vapor transition); using a clear brake fluid, such as Castrol GT LMA or Valvoline PowerSynth will let you spot contamination early (and also help prevent dying the window of the reservior a color over time). Water content is the primary reason we change brake fluids.
      Use only DOT 4 brake fluids in your Katana! DO NOT USE DOT 5.0 BRAKE FLUID -- it is not compatible.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Excellent write up CP, as usual - I was looking on how to do this too.

Do you know if this SpeedBleeder work for cars too?
        "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Speedbleeders are just replacement bleeder valves . You pop out the old bleeder bolt and replace it with the Speedbleeder . Takes about 1 minute to change the fluid and bleed the brakes wit hthose things in place . I LOVE mine . Got them from Speedwerks for about $12 a set (2 in a box , you'll need 2 boxes) .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Speedbleeders are awesome!!!! Changed out my lines for stainless recently and had the whole system bled and tight inside of 10 minutes. Worth every penny and a few more!
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Required Tools: 7 or 8mm wrench (can't remember which off the top of my head), fresh brake fluid (never use brake fluid which has been opened for more than a month or so), eye protection.
              You will also need a philip screwdriver to get the top off the front reservoir. And that wrench is 8 mm.

/kiba
              find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                (2 in a box , you'll need 2 boxes) .
                ...and have 1 lonely bleeder left over? How sad...

Edit: Do KR members get any kind of discount? Sorry, I'm cheap...
                "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                  Do you know if this SpeedBleeder work for cars too?
                  Yes, many auto parts stores carry speed bleeders for cars -- but know that they are usually a larger size than those used on the motorcycles.

KNOW THIS:
                  By this time next week I will be a SpeedBleeders (TM) authorized dealer.

2 in a box , you'll need 2 boxes.
                  98+:
                  one bleeder for each front caliper, two (one for each caliper half) in the rear. A lot of people miss the inside caliper bleeder when bleeding and when installing bleeders -- don't: this bleeder is actually more important that the outside bleeder in most cases.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hey CyberPoet...You have the speedbleeders yet???

are you going to sell them individually or per box??? How much??? Discount for KatRiders members???
                    95 Kat 750cc (RIP)
                    the scratches added character...she served me well!

Comment

When you put the speed bleeders on do you have to drain all the fluid in the lines, or can you switch them out real quick?

Comment

Originally posted by AkBigN
                        When you put the speed bleeders on do you have to drain all the fluid in the lines, or can you switch them out real quick?
                        I havn't done it, but my guess is that a little fluid will come out and you will need to bleed it afterwards to get that air out, but you shouldn't have to drain the whole thing.

/kiba
                        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

2 in a box , you'll need 2 boxes.
                          98+:
                          one bleeder for each front caliper, two (one for each caliper half) in the rear. A lot of people miss the inside caliper bleeder when bleeding and when installing bleeders -- don't: this bleeder is actually more important that the outside bleeder in most cases.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Pre 98 you will need 5
                          TWO for each front caliper.
                          ONE for the rear.

Comment

Not yet, but it's in the works. I'll even break them into specific set-sizes (5 for pre-98's, 4 for post-98's) so you can just order what you need as a complete solution.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by kiba
                              Originally posted by AkBigN
                              I havn't done it, but my guess is that a little fluid will come out and you will need to bleed it afterwards to get that air out, but you shouldn't have to drain the whole thing.

/kiba
                              Yup , that's pretty much it . Just gotta watch getting the brake fluid all over the place (paint , rubber) .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X