X

Did it myself valve adjustment. Cool!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did it myself valve adjustment. Cool!

I'm just excited because I tore it all apart and got it back together with no "extra parts" lying around and it runs great. It was the 600 (744) mile initial adjustment.

I am no mechanic, but I do a lot of my own auto maintenance, and with the info available here and on trinc's page, www.pacifier.com/~trinc/katana/, I felt well equipped to tackle the job.

Well, it took nearly a week because I disassembled everything last Sunday but then it was too dark to get down to business. Then I decided I had better order the $5.00 valve tappet tool from Suzuki, which made things a hell of a lot easier. Ordered it Monday, got it Thursday, then work intervened and I couldn't touch the bike until today (Saturday). It took all afternoon to set the gaps and reassemble my Kat. I was a little nervous because it had been a week and I was having trouble remembering how things came apart, but I figured it out. The OEM Suzuki manual was worth way more than the $60 I spent on it. And if I had a question, all I had to do was search KR for "valve and adjustment" and the answers were all right here.

Oh, and thank you Trinc for showing the valve adjustment sequence right side up. If I had followed the service manual, I would have missed that they showed the damn exhaust cam down and I would have adjusted with the cams 180 degrees out of sequence.

Following my catastrophic success, I recommend that anyone who isn't "tool challenged" give it a try. It's a lot of work but well worth the money savings if you have the time and don't mind getting your hands dirty. If you get stuck, the answers are all here. Hell, the self satisfaction is enough for me!

Congrats on your first Valve adjustment.
    Kyle

Comment

Good deal... did you grab any pictures of the inside of your engine?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hey thats cool freight dog! Where did you get teh valve tool from?

-Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ironmark
          hey thats cool freight dog! Where did you get teh valve tool from?

-Mark
          Any Suzuki dealer. Part number 09917-14910.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yep, what CP said. I ordered mine from State 8 here in Cuyahoga Falls. Just called the parts dept and gave them the part number. IIRC the tool was $5.04 out the door and it looks exactly like the one in Trinc's sticky.

Sorry CP, I didn't get any pics. I need to start taking some!

Comment

Just a follow up. I took the bike out today for a long ride and it is in fact running smoother than before. The valves were set pretty tight from the factory. I imagine they were playing it safe in case the owner didn't adjust them on schedule. I found that on half the rockers, I couldn't get the .005" feeler for intake or .008" feeler for exhaust side, between the gaps. The next time, I will record the gaps before making any adjustments.

In case anyone was wondering, I bought (and highly recommend if you have the scratch) a $60 Craftsman "click adjust" torque wrench from Sears, accurate to within .5 lbs. That way, there is no doubt as to the accuracy when checking the chassis, header and engine bolts.

Comment

Working...
              X