X

1st oil change on 97 600 kat - question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st oil change on 97 600 kat - question

OK so last year I paid the shop to change my oil, well since then I've decided they're a rip off so I want to change it myself this time.

Question is this, on a 97 600 kat where is the oil drain plug? I know it's under the bike but where? If I feel around, is it the only thing I'll find or are their multiple bolts I'll find? If their are multiples which one is it? I'd sure hate to screw this up...

remove the under farrings and its a 12 mm (i think) bolt on the bottom of the pan
    -Alex

Currently Looking for a pre 98 katana project

Comment

If this is your first time doing this a few suggestions

1) Use a torque wrench when putting the drain bolt back in so you don't strip it
      2) make sure you have the correct oil filter
      3) make sure you have the tools to get the old filter off, ie a filter socket or channel plyers. Those buggers don't come off easy sometimes.

Good luck

BTW what does a dealer want for an oil change anyway?
      Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
        If this is your first time doing this a few suggestions

1) Use a torque wrench when putting the drain bolt back in so you don't strip it
        16.5 lb-ft.
        At 15 and under, it'll wiggle back out over time.
        Over 18 and you can easily strip out the pan.

The oil pan drain is the biggest bolt you'll find on the oil pan, and it will be located in the lowest position.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Expect to see a little smoke as you re-start and warm up the bike. It is any spilled oil on the pipes burning itself off. It's hard not to spill any!!

Comment

Originally posted by mx916
            Expect to see a little smoke as you re-start and warm up the bike. It is any spilled oil on the pipes burning itself off. It's hard not to spill any!!
            TRICK:
            Wrap the exhaust pipes under the oil filter in a bit of aluminum foil before doing the oil filter change -- when done, throw the aluminum foil away. No smoke, less mess.

PS - Credit where credit is due: this trick was from one of the original members around here (I heard it back in the KP days)...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X