Clutch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch?

Hello all,

Ok i have an 02 Kat 750 with 22kmiles on it.

First it would slip when i hit 7 rpms..then the clutch wouldn't engage (couldn't shift),I adjusted the cable where there was no play over very little,it ran fine for 5miles now back to the same problem(wont engage).

I took the clutch cover off and engaged the clutch and there is no pressure what so ever.
    The pin (center of clutch plates sorry dont now what its called as of yet) the pin would come out very little then would have to take my finger and push it back in position.

I have no clue where to start at.
    If its the friction plates then i cand replace but no ideal exactly what the problem is.

start with simple stuff, like cleaning your actuating mechanism. if its teh same as a pre, they work a LOT smoother without all the chain gunk in them.

its also possible to be your cable is going bad too. if you disconnect it and pull, it should slide nice and smoothly. if you see or suspect any fraying, replace it. its possible that the cable is fraying inside and sticking somewhere.

Comment

The clutch may need adjusting...or have fallen out of adjustment...easy check is to pull the rubber cap off the sprocket cover near your left foot peg and make sure the locknut has not come loose. You should have a few mm of play in between the clutch lever and lever housing for everything to work properly. A clutch set too tight will slip at high rpm's and a a clutch set too loose wont disengage at all.

food for thought
      For sale thread Album
      1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

OK i took another look at it,this is what it seems..

the friction plates looks like it has a mm or 2 of depth.
        The steel plates on the rim is smooth one side and kinda flat (ish) the other side now this is the rim of it not the flat sides.

So basically when i pull the clutch in the center peg (CLUTCH PU?)of the clutch pushes out but the clutch plates do not separate/move .

I checked the cable and have adjusted it several times to no luck.
        Last edited by bishop403; 01-16-2010, 03:09 PM.

Comment

wow ... so is the cable broke or streched..? pulling the clutch should open the basket and let slack in there .

Comment

No the cable is fine.

I put a thicker washer on CLUTCH PU and the clutch started to engage and disengage (not well/hard shifts) bike would serge a little once i started to shift from N to 1st.

So i still have no clue unless the cable stretched ALOT while i was riding and again once i adjusted it.
            Last edited by bishop403; 01-16-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Are you sure there is no weak spot in the wire that stretches each time you pull the lever???
              Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure but the more you guys bring it up the more i think its a good possibility i mean what else could do that?

you can get your finger nails on the friction plate pads i know there not great but would that cause the clutch basket not even to move with out the extra thick washer?

When i pull the clutch lever the PU/baring (sorry i don't know the name of it) pushes out but the clutch basket doesn't move.
                Last edited by bishop403; 01-16-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

A bad clutch will still move mechanically, it's the friction ability that goes bad. Sounds mechanical.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

When you pull the handle the cable end on the shaft has to move or the cable is bad ... Or the shaft has something going on from there .

Comment

It moves about half an inch,not sure how far it is suppose to move.

Well i just ordered another clutch cable so hope that is whats going on lol.
                      Last edited by bishop403; 01-17-2010, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Are you saying that your clutch plate (the outer most one) moves half an inch when you pull in the clutch lever? And that the main problem you have is that the clutch is slipping (not fully engaging) while riding?

If so, then the best thing to do would be to have more slack in the clutch cable, NOT less. However, too much slack is not a good fix, but it is a good way to see if the problem is in the cable. It is also possible that your clutch springs are going bad and need to be replaced. These cost about $10 I think online (look for "racing" type, they are usually stiffer).

From what you described (that the clutch has "no pressure") I would guess bad springs. If you have the service manual it lists the specs, and you can check them with calipers I believe. Or just order a new set (cause they are cheap, and most people prefer stiffer springs anyway) and install them.

Comment

OK looked up the parts..

The clutch lifter joint doesn't put pressure on the clutch pressure plate when i pull in on the clutch lever.

The Clutch lifter joint moves but not far enough.
                          BTW installed a new clutch cable and have tried the adjustment on the lever and the motor, adjusted as far as it can go still not enough to put pressure on the pressure plate.

Looked inside where the clutch basket sits and didn't see junk or anything broken...
                          Last edited by bishop403; 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Im not sure on the katana motors but I know there is a pushrod and possibly a ball bearing that might be in there. U might be missing some parts , or a part is defective
                            Last edited by waffenampt; 01-19-2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

well by the look of the pic it acts like i missing a push rod lol,But i have put 16,000 miles on it and i know i didn't take it out and if it broke off i don't think it would run and slowly go out after adjusting it.

The problem i am having is money.
                              I don't have enough to go through and buy a peace at a time to i find the problem so im trying to make the best ques i can.

Already out 60 bucks because i didn't take the time to read so now i have 2 new clutch cables and not 1 clutch and a choke cable lol.

And buying the Yoshi exhaust didn't help the problem.

And BTW thx for all the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X