Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike refuses to start - flooded?

Hey all, my 96 kat isn't starting.
    Here's the sequence of events:
    Last night I was trying to start it, and did so successfully, but the choke froze open, I couldn't shut it off. I'm assuming it was because it 15 degrees out (in east texas WTF)
    Then I started it this morning to make sure the cable unfroze, and it ran fine until I turned the choke off and it died. I left it for a while, now when I came back it won't start at all. Sounds like it flooded but I've done several tricks to get it to start, and I've let it sit for a few hours, and it's still not running. Going to let it sit over night and come back but wanted to know if people had other thoughts.
    Sometimes it'll start for a few seconds and die.
    Suggestions?

Oh God I'm an idiot. I don't have fairings on my bike and forgot what position was which for the pet cock, turns out I left it in prime this whole time. FML.
    Is there anything I should check? Doesn't look like any fuel leaked.

Comment

Assuming there's not a strong smell of gasoline or anything you should be fine. The floats in the bowls will cut off fuel flow as usual.

Comment

Check the oil and make sure no gas made it inside the engine. Pull the oil cap an smell if it smell like gas change it. I would change it anyway myself.

Comment

Not what I wanted to hear..costs a good $50 to change the oil since I can't find the right rotella t synthetic anywhere in town....

Comment

Originally posted by Staerke View Post
            Not what I wanted to hear..costs a good $50 to change the oil since I can't find the right rotella t synthetic anywhere in town....
            There'd have to be something stuck/misadjusted on your carbs for that to occur. So if it does your in for more fun than just that.

Comment

Yes if your carbs are functioning correctly running in prime will hurt nothing. There has been a post everyday for a week on how to start a cold Kat.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                Yes if your carbs are functioning correctly running in prime will hurt nothing. There has been a post everyday for a week on how to start a cold Kat.
                yeah, I'm considering buying an electric blanket for my baby, even with the warming trend its near 18 degrees every night in SOUTH CAROLINA of all places.
                "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Comment

A lot of the carbs will leak past the seats that is the reason for the petcock. A lot of the time you will not notice because it drains in the block.

If it is flooding then it is leaking past something. The cold weather will shrink rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattaua View Post
                    yeah, I'm considering buying an electric blanket for my baby, even with the warming trend its near 18 degrees every night in SOUTH CAROLINA of all places.
                    I'm at Clemson and this blows... I've been cranking mine every few days (not riding) and not having much of a problem, but my friend's isn't having any luck and he's too lazy to push start it so far.

Comment

I switching to rotella to reduce the oil change costs. Don't want to start that discussion here as it has been talked about enough. Just search "rotella"
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

Damnit...
                        I got it started, and I got it running on four cylinders, and I let it sit for a few hours, and it's dead again. Not sure if it's flooded or what, don't know that it woudl be possible because I had it on run this time and the petcock isn't leaking.
                        This is getting really frustrated.

Comment

Working...
                        X