X

reserve tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserve tank

OK here's a question I've often wondered about and never really asked...

Whats the deal with the reserve tank? how far can I go on the reserve setting on a kat 600(97 model year)?

Should I occassionally run on the reserve setting to use up the reserve fuel or no?

main tank = 15L
    reserve tank = 5L
    so whatever you did up until you hit reserve, divide that by 3 and thats what you theoretically can get after you hit reserve...of course, I'm not really one to test that theory.

Running it on reserve every once in a while should be good for your bike, gasoline isnt 100% pure and can leave deposits at the bottom of the gas tank. It's better to use your reserve occasionally just to burn up those deposits rather than rarely ever using your reserve and then when you need it, suck up a whole consolidation of deposits all at once into your engine.

... of course, this is all in theory

Comment

the tank is not in two pieces.. it is one big tank... the reserve is just a feed taht is lower in the tank than the normal feed.
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

If you reach it to your reserve, head to the nearest gas station. You don't want to be pushing your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
          the tank is not in two pieces.. it is one big tank... the reserve is just a feed taht is lower in the tank than the normal feed.
          agreed, sorry if I made it sound otherwise

Comment

well, I dont know about the pre 98 models but the 98+ models have a huge reserve of about 1.3 gallons. I always use my reserve for about 10-20 miles before I hit the gas station and after I leave it on reserve for about 25 miles to keep debris from building up in the tank..................
            2004 Katana 600
            D&D carbon fiber slip-on
            Factory ignition advancer
            K&N Filter
            Dynojet jet kit

Comment

Iget between 18 and 20 miles on my reserve. 93 600 stage 1 jet kit.

Comment

Originally posted by pmkls1
                well, I dont know about the pre 98 models but the 98+ models have a huge reserve of about 1.3 gallons. I always use my reserve for about 10-20 miles before I hit the gas station and after I leave it on reserve for about 25 miles to keep debris from building up in the tank..................
                uhh wouldn't it just be caught in the filter anyways?

Most pumps at the gas station have filters on the hoses. I think anymore tha chance of debris getting in the tank is less.
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

no not really, the filters in the pumps arent very fine and the pickup in the bottom of the tank is just a screen so theoretically it could get plugged from debris. Also you have to remember that most of the drbris in a fuel tank isnt from the fuel it is from the tank itself or outside contamination. Fuel tanks are steel and bare on the inside so naturally they rust and this builds up in the bottom of the tank no matter how often you fill it. using the reserve often helps to clear the small amounts of debris from the tank so that if you dont use it often and happen to use it in an emergency situation either the screen could be already plugged or you plug the filter or possibly get trash in the carbs. Also even the inline filter isnt 100 % effective so some of that still makes it to the carbs even during normal use........................
                  2004 Katana 600
                  D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                  Factory ignition advancer
                  K&N Filter
                  Dynojet jet kit

Comment

But it's all one tank . And the bike is hitting bumps and sloshing the gas around anyway . PLUS , inline fuel filters are very easy to add .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      But it's all one tank . And the bike is hitting bumps and sloshing the gas around anyway . PLUS , inline fuel filters are very easy to add .
                      +1

It's all one tank. It has slight indentations (or compartment) that maybe could be considered a reserve, but you could literally just ride with the petcock in reserve and be fine...

Fuel pump has filter....petcock has filter....inline filter (paper)....= any contaminants should be smaller than the smallest jet if your system is intact.

Comment

Your Katana has a fuel pump ? How's that working out for ya ? : That's it , I'm putting you on my ignore list ....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by pmkls1
                          98+ Depends on the gas tank (probably applies to pre-98 as well). The California tank has a smaller reserve (and smaller total size), because it is shaped differently (to make space for the PAIR valve assembly). If the tank was replaced at any point with a new tank (from the Suzuki warehouse), the replacement tank is a Calilfornia tank, because it's easier for Suzuki to store just one type of replacement tank in their system than have multiple tanks types (aside from paint color variants).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

All I know is, I had to hit reserve before after a hard day of riding..bout 30 miles from home. Man I was sweatin it and babying the bike the whole way. I made it,but yeah 30 miles, I wasnt pushing it any more than that!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              Your Katana has a fuel pump ? How's that working out for ya ? : That's it , I'm putting you on my ignore list ....
                              I meant the gas station pump ()

Comment

Working...
                              X