X

Too Soon to Switch to Synthetic?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Soon to Switch to Synthetic?

I have a 2005 600 and I am due for my 600mi Service. Should I continue to use the factory oil or can I switch to Castrol GPS Synthetic during this service?

If I should wait when would be a reasonable amount of miles before I am able to make the switch?

Thanks.
    Two Wheels: 2005 Katana 600

Four Wheels: 1995 Turbo Nissan Maxima

Do it now IMHO
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

now is just as good a time as any to switch
      2004 Katana 600
      D&D carbon fiber slip-on
      Factory ignition advancer
      K&N Filter
      Dynojet jet kit

Comment

i don't want to say it's right or wrong, but i did a regular oil change at 600, then went to synthetic at about 1500.

Comment

The GPS has a high enough HTHS (High Temp High Shear Viscosity) value to be perfectly suitable for your uses at the 600 mile oil change. Make sure you have the valve adjustment check done (or do it yourself) at this time as well -- it is the single most critical part of the service aside from replacing the oil.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Too Soon to Switch to Synthetic?

Originally posted by SpeedCrazie
            Should I continue to use the factory oil
            Are you refering to the Suzuki brand oil? Because it will no longer work in the Katanas; see Cyberpoets' post in the oil thread
            find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

FWIW I asked the same of my mech. who also builds and races bikes, he said to wait until after the second oil change because synth is too slick and can slow down the process of all the parts and seals seating correctly during break-in.
              "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Comment

Originally posted by 2K5GSX600F
                FWIW I asked the same of my mech. who also builds and races bikes, he said to wait until after the second oil change because synth is too slick and can slow down the process of all the parts and seals seating correctly during break-in.
                This is true for old car-style synthetic motor oils and certain racing synthetics in the motorcycle oil segment. He won't have any issues running the GPS.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

"This is true for old car-style synthetic motor oils and certain racing synthetics in the motorcycle oil segment. He won't have any issues running the GPS. "

Agreed, a LOT of new cars these days come with synthetic factory filled and use nothing but that from day one. Motor oils have progressed a lot over the years and the old break-in problems that they used to have with synthetic are gone with most garden variety oils these days................
                  2004 Katana 600
                  D&D carbon fiber slip-on
                  Factory ignition advancer
                  K&N Filter
                  Dynojet jet kit

Comment

Working...
                  X