X

Strange rubber cover over engine...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange rubber cover over engine...

So, I'm in the middle of doing my very 1st valve adjustment (2 days off and on so far - hey, I'm slow and thorough), and I've come to my 1st dilemma. There's this strange rubber slab that's laying over my engine, and I am wondering if it's disposable (as in, I can take it off and never use it again). I ask because it has done nothing but get in the way so far, and I can't imagine it doing much good other than to retain heat. Maybe it keeps debris away or something, I dunno. But, here's a picture of it:

I did a quick search, and CyberPoet has mentioned it being something with Cali models, but to my knowledge mine's not a Cali model. But, I've been known to be wrong. Perhaps CP can fill me in on this (I want all the juicy details)

Another question, is it okay if one of my oil hoses has a sheath around it and the other doesn't? I assume it is, but just want to make sure. Again, here's a photo:

Thanks!
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

I dont know if it actually does any good or not but I convinced Lou to throw his away becouse I didnt want to deal with it again. and I wouldnt worry about the oil hoses.
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

The rubber sheet plays a few roles, including helping keep water from the coils and acting as a heat barrier between the valvs and the PAIR valve and/or tank. I've owned two Kat 600's (an '00 and an '01) and worked on various other riders' bikes in this area (Kat6, Malloc, etc) and the only one that I've seen which had the rubber sheet was Malloc's California-model 750 (it wasn't on either of mine, including the '00 which I bought new). I think ample dielectric grease at the coil connectors should be sufficient, since I live in monsoon-central (Florida in the summer) and have never had electrical issues without the rubber sheet, but it's your call... Funny thing: I've looked through the various fiche files for the Kats and never seen that rubber sheet in any of them...

As for the sheath on the oil line, I never consciously noticed it before but I guess it is stock (see the pics from KR - How clean is the inside of your engine?, where you can see the same sheath on the left side on mine). Why Suzuki would sheath one and not the other is beyond me...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, I kinda had to get rid of mine. it wouldn't fit anyway with the height of the gixxer engine.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Drat, now I'm slightly paranoid about getting water on the coils or having my tank explode from excess heat or something... and I'm not as comfortable as Lou is with being on fire :P
          "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I had one of those rubber thingys on my previous bike (Yamaha XJ600S) and I cut it off... it was annouying me and part of it was hanging out and looked like shiate.

It didnt cause me any grief.
            I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

My 91 CA 750 HAD it, it was so annoying and old that I just flexed it enough till it broke and fell to the floor by itself
              Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

Ditto Cyber so there will be a few of you wondering why the bike isn't running right when at operating temperature, in wet weather etc. LMAO

I am on call!!
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                  Ditto Cyber so there will be a few of you wondering why the bike isn't running right when at operating temperature, in wet weather etc. LMAO
                  Do you really think it will make a difference, Thaz?

I don't think I have a Cali model 'cause I don't hear that infamous fan that keeps running, and I didn't see any PAIR valve anywhere near the HC coils or under the gas tank (not that I really know what it looks like :P)

Because I was stubborn and didn't want to drop the oil cooler, I ended up cutting the rubber cover in 4 strategic places where I could just pull it out for now, and I could technically put it back and just secure it with zip ties or something (but it would probably not need them).

I did get some dielectric grease for this project, and I noticed the bottom of the gas tank had foam heat pads on it...

Comment

put a balloon around the coils LOL
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Funny thing: I've looked through the various fiche files for the Kats and never seen that rubber sheet in any of them...
                      Oo! Oo! I found it!

According to RonAyer's fiche, it's on 750Kats from years '98 to '03. It's #22 on this link:

It also says it's an "air guide plate". Does this shed any light on what it does (anything more specific than to 'guide air')?

Edit: Damn, that was a $40 piece I cut, lol

Comment

that be it, good thing you have $40 eh

I am sure someone has a used one you can get for less on here.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        Who knows what is next?

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                          Well, lookie here. You get a prize! (Good show, Teh_K)

Shows up in the 98 thru 03 Kat 750 fiche, but not in the Kat 600 fiche...

Gee, now me think about this -- think it's a worthwhile upgrade for us Kat 600 riders? ( )

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                            Hey!!1
                            We pre 98s have one too..

Thom you don't have this??

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_00...40&parent=5030
                            yes I still have the original, must add it to the list of things to replace. It is so old and like a board it makes it very hard to even get to the spark plugs. I am just dealing with it for now. Winter is on the way and this year I get to do the whole winter project thing, unlike when I was in Arizona. You don't even want me to begin my list of things to do on a stock 93 750 Katana with just about everything being original and having 21,000 miles on it.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                            X