No announcement yet.
X

For those who LOVE electrical (Problem)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who LOVE electrical (Problem)

SO, I cant get my bike to start, as in starter motor to turn the shaft to get it to turn over. I have cleaned and greased all of the local contacts (Starter switch, Run swithc, clutch engage switch, kickstand swithc just for fun); I have checked the battery level and used a multimeter on every one of the wires under the dash from ever possible point of origin, and even checked the starter because who knows it could be dead. I used a self started to bypass the ignition system and it worked fine.

Now, for those of you who love elctrical, what am I missing? Ever fuse is operative, every contact is clean. It just wont start. There is no relay between the starter button and the starter motor. Is there another bus hub in the motor compartment that I am missing that you could direct me to?

Ohh and for those of you who I havent seen in a while, I am interested in getting in on some KPFFL again this year (Fantasy Football).

-Will
    -Will-

search for the wire that come from the switch thats send signal/power to the starter it should run into the junction box fuse box then find the wire that runs from the junction box fuse box tot he starter relay soilnoid whatever you wanna call it and see if your getting power to thats wire from is source if not clip both wire where they go into said juction box and wire toghter it should start i had a similar problem on a older ninja a few days ago had a shorted out connetion in the junction box from old age wired it toghter with and in line fuse no problems

and will its sincitykat well new name now hit me up sometime ya bum

Comment

also have you tried to throw 12 power into the wire that triggers the solinoid???

Comment

Re: For those who LOVE electrical (Problem)

Originally posted by willdeezy
        There is no relay between the starter button and the starter motor.
        Actually there is. It's behind the left (while sitting on it) fairing. You can see it if you remove the seat; it's in the same box as the main fuse.

I wish I had a scanner to show you page 6-17 of the service manual. Basically, it goes from the battery, through a 30A fuse, through the ignition switch, through a 10A fuse, through the turn signal / side stand relay, through the engine stop switch, through the starter button, through the clutch switch, and finally to the starter relay. The starter relay is between the battery and starter.

/kiba
        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Re: For those who LOVE electrical (Problem)

Starter relay should have black w/ yellow tracer, black w/white tracer, two red leads going into the relay on your bike, as well as one lead going to the starter via the main fuse and one lead going straight to the positive side of the battery.

The other culprits could be in the turn-signal relay (which also contains the side-stand relay -- fed by the green wire from the sidestand switch), a defective pivot mechanism in the clutch handle or a bent clutch handle (so it's not engaging the clutch sensor switch properly), the sidestand switch wiring, or the neutral sense wiring (is the neutral light lighting up in the dash?).

Finally, there is also a black and a yellow connector coupling under the upper front fairing on the top-right of the headlight casings (under the instrument surround) which, if not seated correctly, or if one of the loop-back wires in them (wires which go out a 1/2 inch then come back into another connector) are bad, would keep it from starting.

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

First thing I'd try next is just run some fat wire from the battery directly to the starter to see if it spins . If not , starter's fubar . If it spins , you know it's not . Most likely next (after wiring) would probably be that selenoid . On my old bike I just shove a scredriver in there to bridge the contacts . THAT will tell you if the selenoids bad or not .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Okay, kiba, already tried that one, checked all the fuses 30A ans 10A, ran direct power to the starter motor, so that works, in my 98, I have orange w/ black and orange w/ white comiong from the starter button, and the sidestand is not the culprit. I have 12 coming from every wire I have tested. MD86, I tested the solenoid and that works. Cyberpoet, i ran power directly through the clutch sensor switch, so it isnt "not" engaging. I made a direct connect, so this isnt the problem.

"Starter relay should have black w/ yellow tracer, black w/white tracer, two red leads going into the relay on your bike, as well as one lead going to the starter via the main fuse and one lead going straight to the positive side of the battery." These all have 12V going to them.

LAST thing I could try is: "Finally, there is also a black and a yellow connector coupling under the upper front fairing on the top-right of the headlight casings (under the instrument surround) which, if not seated correctly, or if one of the loop-back wires in them (wires which go out a 1/2 inch then come back into another connector) are bad, would keep it from starting. "

I hate bringing my bike in to get it fixed, cause I can do it myself, but I just might have to. Thanks for all of the help, I will let you know how it goes. I appreciate it guys.

-Will
              -Will-

Comment

Did you check the cluch safety switch??
                Just a thought..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by willdeezy
                  "Starter relay should have black w/ yellow tracer, black w/white tracer, two red leads going into the relay on your bike, as well as one lead going to the starter via the main fuse and one lead going straight to the positive side of the battery." These all have 12V going to them.
                  Are you sure? The black w/white should be the ground and thus read 0.

The black w/yellow should be at 0 until you hit the button, then go to 12. If it does, then the relay's bad.

If you ran 12v right into the clutch switch, then it's either the wiring connector above the headlight, the connector for the relay, or the starter relay itself; those are the only 3 things the wire runs through after the clutch switch.

/kiba
                  find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Kiba my friend, I think you might have gotten it. I will update you on it in a few days when i have time to work on it. Gracias!!!!! YEAH YUH!
                    -Will-

Comment

Working...
                    X