X

Valve is Tapping - Adjustment Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve is Tapping - Adjustment Questions

My brother has a 93 Katana 750 with 20K miles on it. Just recently it started tapping and it sounds like a valve tap. He stopped riding it since to prevent any damage. I have done the valves on my 93 Katana 600 and it had shims, but I was thinking that the 750 would be adjustable. Is this true?

The page linked to above is for a 99, does anyone have a link for a step by step for a 93 so I can show my brother? The important thing that I need is just the shim specs since we no longer have a manual. He is going to AZ in 2-3 weeks so we are not sure if we will just sell the bike for $900 or so.

All the 750's use nut adjusters -- far simpler than shims when doing the adjustment, IMHO.

Someone else will chime in here with the specs for the adjustment shortly, I'm sure.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What kind of tool needs to be used for the adjustment? I have only worked with the shims.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeyDP
        What kind of tool needs to be used for the adjustment? I have only worked with the shims.
        A tappet wrench (about $8, Suzuki part) is simple, but you can get away with using a small adjustable wrench and a metric open- or box-wrench. Nothing to replace. Simply stick in the feeler, loosen, adjust, tighten, remeasure.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPeot
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

valve spec for a 93 is .004 to .006 and .007 to .009 on exhaust.

Comment

Is there a way to see a repair manual online in PDF? I just need the timing pages so I know the sequence of what valves need to be checked and which way the cams should be going? Exhaust valve is on the outside correct?

Comment

Exhaust valves are on the side the exhaust PIPE is on ! Sorry , but it IS :. When notches are pointing OUT , you check - Exhaust:1,2 ; Intake: 1,3 . Then with notches pointing IN , you check -Exhaust: 3,4 ; Intake: 2,4 .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                Exhaust valves are on the side the exhaust PIPE is on !
                Woot! Saved me the embarassment of having to ask
                "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Working...
                X