X

engine oil question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine oil question

I have a 2003 Katana 600. If there is no oil in the engine, will it cause the bike not to start or the bike's battery to shut off or something?

Thanks guys!

nope there not any safty feature like that yet people havent got that stupid yet i hope we never do

Comment

If there is no oil in the engine, the engine oil like on the dash will come on and stay on. But the bike is quite willing to let you tear it up by trying to run it without oil. When the engine seizes, the bike will suddenly loose traction if in motion (the rear wheel will lock up), which is apt to kill you. Be smart -- fix the leak and buy some oil.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So here's my dilemna:

The other day I was warming up my bike and I left the choke on too long. Long enough that the bike shut off on it's own. (I was inside the house on the phone when this happened and I forgot about the bike). When I went to start it back up, it took a while for it to start. I rode for about 15 mins or so and went back home. So about a week past without riding it (coz I was studying for exams) I thought I'd take it out for a spin. I turn the key to "on" and it's like when a light bulb dies out - it'll turn on for a split second and then burn out. That's what happened to the bike, the dash lit up and everything lit up for a split second and then it shut off. Now the bike won't even light up on the "on" position. I think the battery died or something.

So then I proceeded to look at how much engine oil there was and there wasn't any in there. Also, it looks like there isn't any brake fluid either.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas, suggestions? I'm planning on changing/re-filling the oil and using a trickle charger on the battery and then see what happens.

Comment

how did you check the oil level ? with these bikes you gotta put them on the center stand and let em sit for a few minutes before you can see the fluid in the window. but your problem sounds like a dead battery though............
          2004 Katana 600
          D&D carbon fiber slip-on
          Factory ignition advancer
          K&N Filter
          Dynojet jet kit

Comment

Originally posted by jooksingjai
            So here's my dilemna:

The other day I was warming up my bike and I left the choke on too long. Long enough that the bike shut off on it's own. (I was inside the house on the phone when this happened and I forgot about the bike). When I went to start it back up, it took a while for it to start. I rode for about 15 mins or so and went back home. So about a week past without riding it (coz I was studying for exams) I thought I'd take it out for a spin. I turn the key to "on" and it's like when a light bulb dies out - it'll turn on for a split second and then burn out. That's what happened to the bike, the dash lit up and everything lit up for a split second and then it shut off. Now the bike won't even light up on the "on" position. I think the battery died or something.

So then I proceeded to look at how much engine oil there was and there wasn't any in there. Also, it looks like there isn't any brake fluid either.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas, suggestions? I'm planning on changing/re-filling the oil and using a trickle charger on the battery and then see what happens.
            That is the strangest thing I've heard in a long time.

What "turns on for a split second"? The lights on the dash? The bike?

I'm with pmkls--how are you checking your oil? The bike has to be on both wheels and vertical. Then you can check the window.

Where did you check the brake fluid?

Sorry about the questions, but this is one strange set of circumstances--CERTAINLY not caused by leaving the choke on too long.

...now that I say that...how long did you leave the bike idling? There could be some overheating issues that may have led to an electrical failure due to melting some wires.... Hmm.

Ok--you've got my interest! Let us know the answers so you can get back out there.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

well I checked it by holding the bike vertical, with the help of some of my friends. But I guess I didn't let it stand for a few minutes. I checked the brake fluid by looking at the the brake fluid window.

I think I let the bike idle for about 5-7 minutes.

What turned on for a split sec. was everything that turns on when you have ur ignition on the "on" position (your headlights, rear lights, dash, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by jooksingjai
                well I checked it by holding the bike vertical, with the help of some of my friends. But I guess I didn't let it stand for a few minutes. I checked the brake fluid by looking at the the brake fluid window.

I think I let the bike idle for about 5-7 minutes.

What turned on for a split sec. was everything that turns on when you have ur ignition on the "on" position (your headlights, rear lights, dash, etc)
                Ok...were you checking the oil when it was running, or after you shut it off?

There's nothing in the window when it's running....

The brake fluid window is more of a color check than a level check. Are you seeing pure, clean aluminum, or clear/light brown fluid?

You might have an electrical short that could be causing the dash lights to go. Do the gauges still work? Does it turn over, even though the lights have gone out?

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

Comment

OK....

When you let it Idle with the choke on, and it turned off by itself, meant you more than likely ran it so rich it wouldnt run anymore. When you went to restart it it was still so rich it took awhile to get it firing again. On a side note this is not a good thing, as excessive choke on idling basically pours raw fuel into the combustion chamber and will take out the pistons rings eventually, thus means you will burn oil past the rings.
                  The problem with the lights going out seems like a battery problem which sounds like a whole different issue(if I understood your diagnosis correctly). put the battery on charge for a while then start it up and check your charging voltage...... battery voltage = 12v+ charging voltage = 14.5v+ depending on RPM.

It will crank over right?

Comment

Katana kid pretty much was headed in the right direction...

You ran it until the plugs fouled on their own. This did not consume the oil. Once the plugs were fouled, it didn't want to start. You shut it down and walked away, and when you came back, it didn't want to start because of the fouled plugs. In the process of trying, you drained the battery. Now when you turn the key on, you get a momentary surge of power followed by the battery dying totally when you try to hit the starter.

Specific solutions:
                    (A) Swap spark plugs.
                    (B) Fill up the oil to the recommended level, and/or do an oil change.
                    (C) If it's been over a year on the brake fluid since changed last, bleed the brake fluid (to change out all the fluid); if it's been four years since the lines were changed, change the brake fluid lines as well.
                    (D) Remove the battery. Check the water levels; top off as necessary with distilled water (not tap water!). Then hook it up to a charger that puts out under 2 Amps per hour and charge it up. Once charged, refill any additional water needed, measure voltage between the poles(should be 12.6 volts or higher). Set the battery aside without remounting it for 6 hours and then measure again; the second voltage measurement should be no lower than the first measurement, or the battery needs to be replaced with a new one.
                    (E) Reinstall the battery (or install the replacement battery)...
                    (F) Set the petcock to PRIME for 15 seconds, then back to ON....

and
                    (G) now she should fire right up as she used to.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I checked the oil when the bike was shut off. The bike hasn't been riden on for about a week when I checked the oil.

The brake fluid seems to look like a clear/light brown. I'm not too sure. I have to check it again tomorrow when the sun is out.

Nothing works...the headlights, rear lights, dash lights, clock, signals, etc.

I also think that the oil and battery are two separate issues. But I will do everything you guys suggested and hopefully the bike will be up and running again!

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

So it seems like you guys are right. after the bike was on the centre stand, I found that there was plenty of engine oil left.

Right now I am charging the battery with a trickle charger and I'll let you guys know how that works out.

Comment

So after charging the battery, the bike runs fine. I want to thank you for everybody's help!

Comment

So....the missing brake fluid and lack of oil was a red herring, eh? :P

Glad you got it taken care of.

Now--learn how to change the oil as your first bike project. That way you'll be sure exactly how much is in there.

Comment

Working...
                            X