X

front end chatter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front end chatter?

i have a 2002 kat 600 with a 2004 kat 750 motor, and when i get up to about 45mph the front end starts wobbling a bit. like to the point where if i take one hand of the handlebars it starts shaking like a bull trying to buck me off
    im pretty sure the forks are straight, the rim is straight and the frame is straight. the handle bars r bent back slightly from a light drop on each side. and the weird thing is it stops wobbling when i get above 60~ mph... can anyone help me out here?

i can try to get a vid of wuts happening, but i dont have a decent camera set up yet

but any help would b much appreciated, thanks
    "When in doubt, throttle out."
    sigpic

If you're absolutely sure the wheel and forks are straight, I'd be checking the tire for cupping or look at your front end bearings.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

ahh the bearings... hadnt thought about that b4... thanks! ill deffinatly b looking into that

also i do need a new front tire so maybe that could b it..
      sigpic

Comment

Cupped tire will act out of balance.........................tire.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
          Cupped tire will act out of balance.........................tire.
          Speaking of balance...is the wheel balanced?
          Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

I had a bad tire on my old GS, same symptom exactly. It shook at 60km/h but at 100km/h it was smooth-ish. I replaced the tire and all was well. I don't know if the casing was starting to separate or what, it was a cheap Kenda tire, so that may have been the case.

When in doubt with a tire, replace it, it's your life!

Jet

Comment

a cupped tire will shake your bike at 15-35 mph when you let go it will take you out

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                If you're absolutely sure the wheel and forks are straight, I'd be checking the tire for cupping or look at your front end bearings.
                sounds like my Kat. i had suspected the front bearings because i can feel them when i push on the bars to slightly change direction. i'll change them when i rebuild the forks soon. plan on installing progressive springs at that time.[not to hijack thread if someone has an opinion on this please PM me. thanks]
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by BigFish View Post
                  Speaking of balance...is the wheel balanced?
                  the wheel is balanced and the bearings r fine. its gotta b the tire. ill b getting the tires changed soon along with the chain and sprockets
                  sigpic

Comment

I have a 89 kat did the same thing with a old bald tire on it. put a new tire on it and I can still get it to shake but not as bad. Only gets head shake when I take both hands off the bars. I checked the steering head bearings and they were tight. Im not sure why it shakes so bad still.

Comment

Mine did the same thing when I first got it. I replaced the head bearings and took it straight in for tires. Hasn't happened since.
                      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X