Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

pinhole leak in left case cover. Can it be welded?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinhole leak in left case cover. Can it be welded?

haven't been around here lately since I sold the Kat to my brother and bought a new bike but I'm looking for some advice.

My brother had a low speed face plant. Bike went down on the left side at about 20mph due to a stray dog and too much front brake input. Bike and brother came out of it with minor scratches and the dog walked away in good health. However there is now a very small oil leak that appears to be coming from the scuffed up area on the left crankcase.

I can't see any obvious cracks and the leak is so small that it has to just be a pinhole in the case. I'm going to pull the cover and take a closer look at it but I was wondering if it is just a pinhole is it possible to seal it back up with a weld? Or are we better off spending the 100 bucks to replace the cover?

It has leaked maybe a teaspoon or so of oil onto my garage floor over the past week it has been sitting there.

-Brian

i had something like that happen to my dirtbike i used this liquid weld its an epoxy i got from pepboys and dried in acouple hrs and sanded it down and a coat of black spray paint and with the heat and all still holds up and i did that 2 years ago cost only $6 that is if u find the hole

Comment

jb weld if it is a hole. Sounds to me like it might have broken the seal though and is leaking from there. Pull off the plate, inspect both sides (cracks may well be more visible from the back side of the plate). If you don't see any cracks or holes after pulling it off buy a new seal ($6 or so) and see if that does the trick. If not post in the "parts wanted" section and I bet you can find a new one for well under $100.
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

I've this used on dritbike radiator, clutch covers, crank case covers before. Gets the job done trailside to get home, then replace the broken part later. Don't know how long it might stay put though.
        Last edited by "K"; 11-16-2009, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
          jb weld if it is a hole. Sounds to me like it might have broken the seal though and is leaking from there. Pull off the plate, inspect both sides (cracks may well be more visible from the back side of the plate). If you don't see any cracks or holes after pulling it off buy a new seal ($6 or so) and see if that does the trick. If not post in the "parts wanted" section and I bet you can find a new one for well under $100.
          I was doing some research here while you replied and it seems JB weld may be the way to go. It's definitely a pinhole or crack in the case not the gasket since I can see the oil trail going up to it. The hole is on suzuki logo on the cover.

I'll look into some epoxy/liquid weld solutions.

-Brian

Comment

liquid weld = JB weld couldnt think of the name

Comment

I found this welding rod on the internet. The advertisers say all you need is a propane torch to weld with it. check it out its for aluminum----> http://www.alumaloy.net/

Comment

Dont use JB weld. use jb STEEL.

there's different grades- JBKwik, JBWeld,JBSTeel and i think a few others.

JB steel works on Gas tanks; it has better chemical resistance, and is stronger in the long run.
                charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Working...
                X