X

Can someone help me with timing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me with timing?

I have a 1993 katana gsx600f I'm having issues starting it I'm thinking I lost the proper timing after putting the head back on, I marked the chain and cam but i'm thinking i got a few or more degrees off when I put it back on, Where I need help is resetting the proper timing again... I'm pretty good with engines and have timed a few ars but this is my first shot at a DOHC engine. So I need to know after I set the 1st cylinder to TDC do I also set the cam shafts to TDC using the markings on the shaft also what do the numbers on the cam shaft gears mean??
    from what I can tell I should be setting them at 13 degrees past TDC?
    Or as some in this forum have said 21 pins.... What does that mean?
    I know how to get 13 degrees but the pins terminology is escaping my brain??

A Big Thanks to anyone that can help I can't wait to get on my kat and enjoy the ride....

I believe the pins counting is referring to the number of pins between the cams. Since you are setting the chain on the sprockets without the idler sprocket in the middle, it's helpful to know. I haven't looked at the cam gears in quite a while, so forgive me for not immediately recalling the markings. If I could make a suggestion, download the service manual and use it.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Haven't been able to find a manual cause i'm cheap and can't afford the damn thing right now.
      But by pins I assume you mean the pins in the chain? In which case that makes thing a bit easier...
      I guess now do I just need to have the 1st piston and the cams both set to TDC?
      (My cams have notches marking TDC on them, (I figured that out reading a few other posts)
      Hell though I just found a 2000 gsx600f engine for 175, it runs so any clue if it will fit in ti my 1993? Will current electronics handle the new engine?

That just seems too easy lol

Comment

Originally posted by blindrat420 View Post
        Haven't been able to find a manual cause i'm cheap and can't afford the damn thing right now.
        But by pins I assume you mean the pins in the chain? In which case that makes thing a bit easier...
        I guess now do I just need to have the 1st piston and the cams both set to TDC?
        (My cams have notches marking TDC on them, (I figured that out reading a few other posts)
        Hell though I just found a 2000 gsx600f engine for 175, it runs so any clue if it will fit in ti my 1993? Will current electronics handle the new engine?

That just seems too easy lol
        A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

That might help you

Comment

Will my current electronics work on a 2000 gsx600 motor....

I have a 1993 gsx600f and i'm looking to swap it for a 2000 gsx600f motor...

Comment

This link for manuals might work even better:

You can swap in a multitude of motors.+http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...rchangeability
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks everyone, goin to pick up the new motor in a couple hours and hopefully I'll have her running by midnight...

I can't wait to hear her purr...
              I've been in love with katanas since I first rode one about 10 years ago now I finally own one I can't wait to ride it!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X