Timing chain shot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain shot?

Hey all,
    I've got a 96 Katana 600 with ~23,000 miles on it.
    Today I was riding it and the throttle got stuck (nut came loose and jammed it in place). I was able to baby it home (got it down so it was idling at 5-6000 RPM and just idled it back) but it redlined a few times before I was able to get off the road and I didn't kill it soon enough.

Pulled it apart, fixed the issue, but now when I turn it on and rev it there's a loud rattle from the motor. My friends say it's the timing chain.

Did I destroy it? I know you're not supposed to have to mess with the timing chain, especially on a bike with only 23,000 miles on it. But could the excessive heat from excessive revving damage the chain?
    I'm going to take it to a shop Monday. If you want I can post a video so you can hear the sound.

Could be anything from a broken rocker to a valve, could even be the CCT spring but your not going to know for sure till you start to investigate it a bit better. See if you can narrow down the loaction of the noise. One trick is to use a broom stick or something simular, hold it pressed agianst the ear with the ear folded over agianst the handle, then touch the other end to various parts of the motor, Valve cover ect. When you hear the noise the loudest, then thats what you need to check out.

Check along the sides of the motor, The cam chain tensionor, valve cover ect.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Turned it back on this morning, and the sound is gone even when I rev it.
      Do I trust it? What are the odds of a catastrophic failure if I let it go (valve through piston?)
      Considering taking it into a shop tomorrow.

Comment

Pull the valve cover and check the valve clearances when it's stone cold.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
        X