X

Figured i would put all my problems and things i try on one thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
    You may luck out buy running (forcing) the blockage out with chemical additives. If it works great!! But its a stroke of good luck when it does. Bottem line here is that while you may have restrictions on where when and how you can work on your bike to get it running correctly, that doesnt mean that alt. answers are the right ones to correct the issues. you asked we answered. If you take the advice great.... if you dont then at least you know that when your ready THESE are alot of your issues to be addressed. Best of luck on your project.
    I never said that using an alternative solution was correct. But if i can get the bike running good with just changing the gas and oil and putting some chemicals in the tank, i would rather that then take apart the carbs to find that there are no problems in there. thank you for the regards.
    Slofuze & Frenchcropper
    i dont believe the engineers of the motorcycle didnt intend half and hour of idling would cause the engine to overheat and cause internal motor damage, do you?
    Last edited by Ciphony; 11-11-2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I donno what they intended, but an air/oil cooled bike with no fans probably shouldn't sit there cooking like that. I don't think anyone figured the bike would be sitting idle with no air moving across the cooling fins and oil cooler for a half an hour...

Comment

Originally posted by Wheel View Post
        I donno what they intended, but an air/oil cooled bike with no fans probably shouldn't sit there cooking like that. I don't think anyone figured the bike would be sitting idle with no air moving across the cooling fins and oil cooler for a half an hour...
        I agree. Also, if it's idling below 2500rpms i'm pretty sure the battery isn't charging.

Comment

Taking the carbs off doesn't require a huge amount of disassembly. If you have a bike cover, you can yank the carbs and stick the cover on it and no one will have any idea.

Motorcycle oil has a bunch of different addatives in it that standard car oil doesn't.

Fuel addatives may knock down some of the varnish but if there is tougher/thicker mung in there it may not get rid of all of it. A full thorough carb cleaning will get rid of it. You will get better behavior out of the bike, better power and better milage if your carbs are running 100% instead of 89%.
          My bike: 1990 Katana GSX750-F

Comment

automotive oils have friction modifiers. that's the last thing a clutch plate needs, to be slipery.

there IS no real alternative to a good complete cleaning of the carbs. anything you do now short of that will have compounded by spring. btw, all those aditives and cleaners are fine in moderation (even tho they will not clear blockages, which you have), but you start dumpin cans of stuff in the fuel system you're just gonna eat the o-rings and such, and have an even bigger mess to deal with when you quit wasting your time and CLEAN THE CARBS.

FYI : a oil/air cooled bike idling, sitting still, has no air flow to pull the heat out of the oil running thru the radiator so it cooks. IF you insist on idling the skoot for more than say 10 minutes, put a darn good fan in front blowing on high. plus, the alternator doesnt put out enough amps to run the skoot AND charge a battery untill about 4k rpms. and even then it's a very slow charge.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

just reading through some manuals here.. found a nice section...
              Keep in mind that many so-called carburetor
              problems are really not carburetor problems at
              all, but mechanical problems within the engine or
              malfunctions within the ignition system. Try to
              establish for certain that the carburetors are in
              need of a major overhaul before beginning

Comment

<sigh> done tryin to talk to a phone pole
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                  <sigh> done tryin to talk to a phone pole
                  ROFL!.. i love it!

Comment

I wonder what Arsenic would say....

Dude, these people are trying to help you.
                    Blackdog
                    DRz-400e plated
                    Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
                      I wonder what Arsenic would say....

Dude, these people are trying to help you.
                      Great.. i am asking questions.. i got answers.. and it will utilize the assitance of this community when i feel there is a need to... I do not feel there is a desperate need to do hardcore carb cleaning. I will be cleaning them in the spring if the bike doesnt stabalize but as of right now i suceeded in getting it to successfully start on command.. That was primary goal before storage.. Dont take my comments as disrespectful.. i am just telling you what I am doing... After this point i wont be responding to this thread until i will utilize the information as you all seem to believe i am not listening to you and you wont listen to me... farewell till spring!

Comment

I do not have experience working on kats too much but I understand your frustration with everyone suggesting cleaning the carbs. It really does fit your description but I also had a similar problem with my 01 r6 so I set out on a mission to go through and try and solve the problem because I was sur ein my mind that the carbs did not need to be cleaned. I actually ended up fixing the problem simply by synching the carbs. My bike had all the classic symptoms of being clogged and I was told the same thing since my bike had set for awhile (not 2 years) because it had been wrecked. I decided to take the easier cheaper route first and try resynching the carbs (which I had never done before) and now the bikes runs perfect. Keep in mind this is just my experience and may or may not solve your problem but either way it is easier than rebuilding the carbs. Also as for the oil you definately do not wat to put car oil in your bike you should only use motorcycle oil made specifically for wet clutch applications. I use full synthetic mobil 1 10-40 on my 04' kat 600 costs me around $9 a quart at the local Walmart.
                        - 04' Kat 600 (my reliable bike)
                        - 01' R6 (my fun bike)
                        - 00' Cavalier (my POS daily driver)

Comment

so instead of leaving everyone wondering.. i will end the posting like this. Took gas out of gas tank. ran bike until tank and carbs were empty. installed new 93 octane gas with some stabil. bike fires and runs great. Get bike off choke completely and allow to completely warm up. Change filter and engine oil. (little dirty but not terrible or chunky). valve train noises quieter and bike runs great with no stumbles at 1800 rpm off of choke. Road test showed bike runs great in all ranges. Thank you all for any assistance you have provided!

Comment

Good to hear.

Now don't put that baby away. Ride it..
                            Blackdog
                            DRz-400e plated
                            Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
                              Good to hear.

Now don't put that baby away. Ride it..
                              i would but riding a bike without registration and plates will tend to not lead me to that... only short jaunts... gotta get some other things squared away first!

Comment

Working...
                              X