Is it a GSX or GSXR engine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a GSX or GSXR engine?

Hi guys,

2 weeks ago I got a gear box problem, decided the best course of action in the end was to get another engine.

The orginal engine I had sent was the wrong one and didn't fit and they sent me another one. Telling me it was a gsxr engine not a gsx engine, the garage says they're very simular but is there any way that I can check for myself what engine I have now?

On another note I had my carbs done at the same time with the use of dynojet and I'm getting flat patches all over the place and it's lagging on the throttle when I open it up.My mate thinks it's prolly a gsxr engine and I need to change my carbs over to gsxr's as the standard gsx carbs aren't working right with the engine.Any ideas?

As a note I have a gsx 750 f, 1994.With a air box k and n filter and 2 art race cans.Current engine unknown other than it is a 750.

Can anyone help please?
    It Gets Worse ....

pre 98 750 GSX engines are detuned 92 or earlier GSXR engines. The differences are, cams, timing, and how tight the rubber band is LOL

The carbs are both 36mm on your engine and the GSXR of 92 and earlier. They GSXR carbs are jetted richer than the GSX ones.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
      pre 98 750 GSX engines are detuned 92 or earlier GSXR engines. The differences are, cams, timing, and how tight the rubber band is LOL

The carbs are both 36mm on your engine and the GSXR of 92 and earlier. They GSXR carbs are jetted richer than the GSX ones.
      not completly tru the kat motors are based on 88-89 gsxr motors that are detuned with less radical cams and they smaller jetted 36mm carbs the
      best way to tell what it is if the motor hasnt been frankenstiened toghter its to see what the side of the jug says if it say 748 cc its a kat or 88-89 gixx if it say 749 its and 86-87 or 90-92 gixxer the newer kats98+ use the 90-92 gixxer motor in a detuned version.

Comment

To get rid of the lag coming off idle, remove the DynoJet springs and reinstall the OEM springs in the carbs. The dynojet springs are a bit longer and don't allow the slides to come up as fast.

There is yet one other possible issue with the engine, and that is whether it is the "Slingshot" engine or not. The GSXR engine for a while had a different bore and stroke than the Katana engine (although it still shared the same basic block and total displacement). The change in bore & stroke changed the fueling pretty heavily, since the vacuum pull on the carbs was less pull at any given instant, but a longer pull duration.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          To get rid of the lag coming off idle, remove the DynoJet springs and reinstall the OEM springs in the carbs. The dynojet springs are a bit longer and don't allow the slides to come up as fast.

There is yet one other possible issue with the engine, and that is whether it is the "Slingshot" engine or not. The GSXR engine for a while had a different bore and stroke than the Katana engine (although it still shared the same basic block and total displacement). The change in bore & stroke changed the fueling pretty heavily, since the vacuum pull on the carbs was less pull at any given instant, but a longer pull duration.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          ok cyber there is no where in a 88thru 97 kat jet kit from dyno jet that included spring the kit that includs the spring is the newer kat jet kit for the 98+ jet kit so before you say something you might want to get your facts straight so you dont give someone the wrong info and have the guy completly confused.

Comment

Originally posted by sinfulkat
            ok cyber there is no where in a 88thru 97 kat jet kit from dyno jet that included spring the kit that includs the spring is the newer kat jet kit for the 98+ jet kit so before you say something you might want to get your facts straight so you dont give someone the wrong info and have the guy completly confused.
            My bad...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Is it a GSX or GSXR engine?

Originally posted by sodit
              Hi guys,

but is there any way that I can check for myself what engine I have now?
              Yeah , find the engine number (stamped on the case on the right [?] side )and check it somewhere . All engines for a particular model have the same series of numbers in it somewhere ....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

update

ok, so i got the engine number and checked them out and its a gsx engine. One down one to go.

I'm paying more attention to the throttle and it seems to be in the first 1/4 turn that I get the loss of power and lag, then it kicks in once i'm past that point, it doesn't matter what speed or gear i'm in.
                Also it's taken to staling when i come to a stop, after i've been riding at a constant speed.
                A friend suggested I try to run it without the air filter at all as this should help if its staved of air, anyways it wouldn't make it up the road it felt like a bucking bronco, so i tried with a standard air filter and it was better than without but not as good as with the k&n. Does this help narrow anything down?

Cheers for the help all

Chris
                It Gets Worse ....

Comment

Hey,Sodit,where in England are you from?I am from the Newcastle upon Tyne area,originaly.
                  Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Re: update

Originally posted by sodit
                    ok, so i got the engine number and checked them out and its a gsx engine. One down one to go.

I'm paying more attention to the throttle and it seems to be in the first 1/4 turn that I get the loss of power and lag, then it kicks in once i'm past that point, it doesn't matter what speed or gear i'm in.
                    Also it's taken to staling when i come to a stop, after i've been riding at a constant speed.
                    A friend suggested I try to run it without the air filter at all as this should help if its staved of air, anyways it wouldn't make it up the road it felt like a bucking bronco, so i tried with a standard air filter and it was better than without but not as good as with the k&n. Does this help narrow anything down?

Cheers for the help all

Chris
                    try raising the needles a clip if your needles are on the 3rd notch move to the 4th and so on and leave the k&n filters in

Comment

Originally posted by ne-oublie
                      Hey,Sodit,where in England are you from?I am from the Newcastle upon Tyne area,originaly.
                      I'm orginally from maistone kent, but i currently live near portsmouth
                      It Gets Worse ....

Comment

Working...
                      X