X

Shifting gears

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting gears

My 05 katana's gear box sounds as if somethings loose in it especially when shifting from 1 to 2 gear. is there something I can do or get for it so it shifts more smoothly.

Yes, it's normal. Remember, between 1-2 is didfferent than tthe other gears because you're bypassing neutral. Too make it smoother, you can do 2 things IMHO....replace the oil with a good synthetic (like mobil1 10x4t) and shif more crispier (as in faster).

Comment

Yes, it is the nature of the beast!! It is the way the Zuki is.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

They all do that

Hondas are worse!!

Comment

There are different types of synthetic motorcycle oils. If you find one that is high in anti-gauling chemicals (phosphate and esp. zinc) and is fairly thick, you will have no issues using a good SF/SG rated + JASO-MA rated synthetic at this point. I would recommend against using a car-oriented synthetic or a race-oriented motorcycle synthetic at this point.

Included in that list are:
          Castrol ACT/Evo 10w40
          Castrol GPS 10w40 and 20w50
          Mobil MX4T 10w40 and VTwin 20w50

I would not recommend using Castrol R4 Race Oil, for example, in this case though.

You might want to read through CyberPoet's "How to understand and choose Motorcycle Motor Oils and additives" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, how offering all-weather/open-cockpit 400 degree (F) oil temperature gauges for Katanas and other air cooled & oil-air cooled motorcycles!

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

They all sound like that from 1st to 2nd since the first GS's. Nothing wrong.
            '98 GSX750F

Comment

Just run motorcycle specific oils as Cyber said above

Comment

Originally posted by Firewa11
                Cool, thanks for the advice! I think I'll Synthetic at my next change.. I run Royal Purple in the Camaro, so why not run synthetic in the bike too? Well, when my wife sees the CC statements, I might have to come up with a better excuse... heh.
                Originally posted by kickitjp
                Just run motorcycle specific oils as Cyber said above
                I know Royal Purple's formula guy, and you should be fine running RoyalPurple's CycleMax. I wouldn't recommend using their standard car oil in the Katana.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mine has a definate clunk... from 1-2... and sometimes it is REALLY bad going back down from 2-1 if i hold the clutch in while going down through the gears fast at a stop. I've been blipping the throttle a bit right before going down to 1st which helps some.

I figure its fine... and if it starts to get any worse... i'll sell the bike and tell that person its normal.
                  I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                  http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
                    I figure its fine... and if it starts to get any worse... i'll sell the bike and tell that person its normal.
                    that will get you banned fro sure.. cause where do you think that person will go to find out if it is normal.. KR...

and mine does the same thing... especially before the oil is warmed up.
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Working...
                    X