X

Chain and sprocket change woes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain and sprocket change woes

So today I undertook the daunting (read:gooey) task of replacing both sprockets and the drive chain.

Everything came apart relatively easy, and using the trackside chain tool set I had no issue removing the chain. Everything is coated with a heavy layer of chain lube, and this stuff is rough. Gets everywhere, and on everything, and doesn't wash off very easily, if at all.

Well, come to the part where I'm ready to install the new chain, and I realize the writeup I'm reading here calls for 118 links. The chain I got from mopowersports.com is 120 links. So, I get the chain tool out and start to try and remove a couple links. Well, the damn pin goes off-center and bends then breaks.

So I had to dremel off one side of the rivet and was able to push it back through using the smaller push pin in the chain tool. Well, the chain is still too long. I'm gonna have to remove another couple links. This must be due to the 45 tooth sprocket I've installed. So 116 links I guess, but that'll have to wait until I can get a new push pin, hopefully by tomorrow.

So in the meantime, by bike is taking up the whole garage in pieces and I have no transportation. I want to curse and swear.

Seems like you should be able to buy the chain in the correct length and not have to go through all this hassle!!!

where ya live in town slim ive got a chain tool and can come help ya
    I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

If you get Jimmy to send things directly to you, the chain isn't precut. If it goes to him, then to you... he'll cut the chain down.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

that would have saved me some huge headache... I'll remember that for next time! Fortunately, my wife has the next three days off of school so I can use her car to get to work

Comment

I'm actually surprised he didn't ask about it....
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I did not even think about. I mean he is in Vegas. I bet Sin would help a brother out.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wheel View Post
              So I had to dremel off one side of the rivet and was able to push it back through using the smaller push pin in the chain tool. Well, the chain is still too long. I'm gonna have to remove another couple links. This must be due to the 45 tooth sprocket I've installed. So 116 links I guess, but that'll have to wait until I can get a new push pin, hopefully by tomorrow.
              just grind off another pin

Comment

Yeah well, I didn't want to grind another pin off because although I ground off the head of the pin and pushed it through with the smaller pin, the smaller pin broke too when we tried pushing another link off. So, I just figured I didn't have a decent way to do that anymore.

But yeah, Sin came by and showed me a few things. I learned that it's just much easier to work on the chain when it's on the rear sproket. His tool was broken too, so he just dremelled off the heads of both pins, and used a big screwdriver to pry off the link. I hadn't thought of that. It's nice to have good people like Sin on here, he's a life-saver!!!

And hey Jimmy no worries, I aint mad at ya! not your fault.

Comment

Glad Dave was able to help you out. He is a good person and always willing to help with anything or any question. I owe him one for you.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

really though, it's nobody's fault my chain tool broke. Next time I'll know more and have an easier time with it, whether the chain comes pre-cut or not

Comment

Working...
                    X