Dealing With Broken Header Bolts/Studs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
    That repair is a piece of art!
    Which one are you looking at? The ZR case?
    You are very talented!
    Thank you, good sir!

Regards,

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by moto View Post
      Which one are you looking at? The ZR case?
      I looked at everything on your linked pages. It's all top shelf stuff!

Thank you, good sir!
      Regards,
      Derek
      You are most welcome Derek. That is such nice work. Hats off to you.
      Having said that, I'm not sure that many people here are as equipped and qualified as your are. You are at a professional level (you have a TIG, a mill, etc.).
      In my case, I do not weld, nor am a machinist. I need to get that done elsewhere. IMHO I am not alone in that situation.
      That is the reason why I use the explained basic drill jig method. As a matter of fact, I used it again recently to repair a few crankcase bolts that had been broken, and then screwed up by someone who tried to drill it without a jig. It worked as expected.
      Please don't take this as a critic of your methods. I wish I could do that, but it's not the case.
      That is why I have suggested this method. All you need is a machinist to make the jig, and you can do this with your portable drill.
      Cheers!

Comment

good write up both of you

i felt fortunate, when i pulled the header off my bike, all 8 bolts cracked right loose. my only problem right now is i need to tap the inside #3 hole, i kinda crossed threaded it trying to put it back in. no biggie, will be fixed when i have the bike apart this winter to redo everything on it

Comment

IMO add any detail you think is missing and sticky this.
          Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
            That is why I have suggested this method. All you need is a machinist to make the jig, and you can do this with your portable drill.
            Cheers!
            Note that the same machinist who can make a jig without drill bushings can make one with drill bushings. In fact, it may be easier, as now only a mill is required, rather than a mill and a lathe. Unless your portable drill does not have a reverse, there is also nothing to prevent you from using left-handed drill bits (they can be mail ordered if need be).

Regards,

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by moto View Post
              Unless your portable drill does not have a reverse, there is also nothing to prevent you from using left-handed drill bits (they can be mail ordered if need be).
              Regards,
              Derek
              I agree!

Comment

Working...
              X