X

What to do!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do!!

I have a twisted crank in my 1982 GS1000SZ Katana,i know the right way to have this fixed,is to have it rebuilt with all new bearings etc have it trued, welded and balanced.The price for this is very very expensive,so maybe look for a used crank? i could end up with more problems, just as i could if i found a used motor.The solution seems obvious,i just don't like shelling out a grand(that i don't have right now) to fix this,but if i don't,the bike remains in peices I allmost forgot to mention that this is a multi peice crank,pressed together,that is why it is recomended to weld,as it may move again in the future,if it is just trued up,anyone have any better idea's,thanks.
    Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Busa engine?
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
      Busa engine?

Won't fit ,allthough,a 80's Katana 1100cc would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by RoadRacer61
        A little pricey

Comment

A little pricey... yes. But how cool could you get? Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buyin gone. $184,000 but it comes with its own custom inclosed trailor. I looked in to it.... lol

Comment

Someone must have an engine,or know of one somewhere?

Comment

Re: What to do!!

Originally posted by ne-oublie
              I have a twisted crank in my 1982 GS1000SZ Katana,i know the right way to have this fixed,is to have it rebuilt with all new bearings etc have it trued, welded and balanced.The price for this is very very expensive,so maybe look for a used crank
              Consider either starting to call motorcycle specific junk yards (in search of a crank), or take the existing crank to a machine shop and find out what they want to lathe you a single-piece replacement based on yours (be sure to specify that there is no rush). Also start searching the web for a CNC data profile of the crank...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: What to do!!

Consider either starting to call motorcycle specific junk yards (in search of a crank), or take the existing crank to a machine shop and find out what they want to lathe you a single-piece replacement based on yours (be sure to specify that there is no rush). Also start searching the web for a CNC data profile of the crank...

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet[/quote]

Thanks Cyber,i have called a half dozen or so bike scrapyards,i can't believe no one has a motor,they made 1000's of GS motors. The best solution i have come up with is to have the crank disasembled ( it is a multi-peice type,pressed together), trued up,and then welded,they also supply new rods with caps,this would meen running shells instead of bearings.They do this to stop further twisting,and obviously does not come cheap.I have been looking on ebay also,for a complete bike,that i could use the motor,and part out the rest.Patientce,is not one of my virtues, and not getting much ride time this year,is getting a little old.I have been a machinist for almost 30 years,to have something like this made in one or two pieces,the cost would be extreme.I have made many bike for my self patrs over the years,some very complex,so i understand what goes onto a project like this,even if your equiped to do it.Something will come along,i guess i will have to make this a winter project,maybe i should put a completely different engine in there,let's see

Comment

Working...
                X