X

97 kat problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 kat problem

hi i new here i just got a 97 600 kat and i have a prob with it, when ever it warms up it tends to turn off when i stop at a light or when im slowing down. the other day it hapend on the highway as i was slowing down to make the turn off it shut down i wasnt braking to hard but i slowed down fast. As soon as i push the start button it starts up. can anyone help

tanx

Need Five pieces of info to start with:
    (A) What RPM is the idle when the bike is cold (engine cold)
    (B) What RPM is the idle when the bike is hot (engine hot)
    (C) Is the bike a California model?
    (D) Are you pulling the clutch in and then it's dying -- or is it dying with the clutch out?
    (E) How long was it parked before you started riding it?

Could be:
    Old gas, operator error, idle set too low, vacuum leak, bad spark, bad battery, bad charging system, rust in tank (and subsequently in carbs), bad connectivity at an electrical connector.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Or dirty plugs . Don't forget those ! But something usually MAKES them that way , so that'd be more like another symptom .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

(A) What RPM is the idle when the bike is cold (engine cold)
        i set the rpm when cold at 1500[/b]
        When hot it sometimes goes up and down it will be runing at 1500 than it goes down to 900
        (C) Is the bike a California model? dont really know and how do i find out?
        (D) Are you pulling the clutch in and then it's dying -- or is it dying with the clutch out? its dying with the clutch out
        (E) How long was it parked before you started riding it? 3 months

Tanx for the help

Comment

Originally posted by sin city kat
          (A) i set the rpm when cold at 1500[/b]
          When hot it sometimes goes up and down it will be runing at 1500 than it goes down to 900
          OK, idle is artificially high because of fuel residues or a sticking throttle cable. 900 is where the idle is actually set. Get a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner, go to a gas pump, pour in about 1/3rd of a bottle and top off the gas with some high-detergent fuel (Shell System V3 or Chevron Techron, etc). Expect it will take about 15 miles plus sitting overnight to reliquify the fuel residues properly; it may take longer in extreme cases.

(C) Is the bike a California model? dont really know and how do i find out?
          The simple way is to call the dealer with the VIN. You can also find out by looking at the exhaust headers -- if it's a California model, about an inch below each exhaust header is a smaller port with a line attached to it.

(D) Are you pulling the clutch in and then it's dying -- or is it dying with the clutch out? its dying with the clutch out
          Pull the clutch in when you're below 1500 RPM!

(E) How long was it parked before you started riding it? 3 months
          Fuel residues... You may need to adjust, lube or replace the throttle cables as well.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Could be:
            Old gas, operator error, idle set too low, vacuum leak, bad spark, bad battery, bad charging system, rust in tank (and subsequently in carbs), bad connectivity at an electrical connector.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet

Don't forget the valves.

If the clearnace is set too tight the valves will remain slightly open as the stem expands when the bike heats up. Basically the gap will reduce to the point where the valve stem is constantly in contact with the bucket and the valve will not close completely. This will mimic a vaccuum leak.

Buc
            it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

Working...
            X