X

gsxr1100 bogs in low rpm range

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsxr1100 bogs in low rpm range

took my 96 gsxr1100 to work today. it's been, on the short test rides i've been taking, sluggish in the low rpms. during takeoff and at low rpm after gear shifts it's almost like it wants to stall, but doesn't get close enough to cutting off that i think it will.

at speed, the bike runs fine and is quite fast. idles fine while stopped, never sounds like it wants to die.

i can tell you for sure that the bike has a k&n air filter and a hindle fill exhaust. supposedly, the bike also has a 1300 big bore kit. who knows?

so, i know kats don't like k&n filters. is this also true for gsxr models? or does this sound like improper jetting or air//fuel mixture?

Sounds like a high flow filter and high flow exhaust without being jetted appropriately. Any idea what size jets are in the carbs?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

nope. i bought the bike as is, the guy that had it before me didn't seem to know much about it

Comment

clean teh carbs paying special attention to the pilot circuit. before removing the a/f screws count the number of tirns IN before they seat so you can set them back where they were. If your needles have slots on top where the little C clip goes you have a jet kit. stage one or stage 3 depends on the main jet size. I would suspect it's a state 3 kit as you have individual pod filters. dont mess with any settings or adjustments untill after a very thurough cleaning with special attentin to the pilot circuit. if it looks clean, clean it again, thrice. If the carbs are really really clean, then start goofin with the adjustments, starting with the a/f screws. again, make sure you count the turns IN before removing them so you have a baseline for the PO's setup.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

To be exact, it's a k&n drop-in in the stock airbox.

If need be, I'll take the bike to the shop. I've already had this thing apart tooany times since I brought it home. Getting the carbs out an back in again isn't exactly my idea of fun

Comment

do the needles have multiple slots to adjust the height?
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

I don't know. I only had the carbs out so I could have enough room to replace the alternator drive bushing. Never did inspect/ clean them or anything. They looked at a glance like they've been cleaned Or rebuilt recently

Comment

definitely clean the pilot circuit, that's usually the first thing to clog up....i've done 5 or 6 carbs recently that had a plugged pilot circuit...

Comment

what ar the pilot screws set 2?

Comment

waff, the service manual doesn't have a listing for the BST36, but for the BST40 it ranges from 1 5/8 - 2 turns out...All that's reflected on the 36mm carb is factory pre-set....

rigid

Comment

BTS36ss pilot screw setting 2 turns out
                      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

factory setting yo mean?

i imagine i'll not do anything with it until riding season is completely over. she'll be getting a repaint anyways

Comment

let us know if u remedy the problem...

Comment

stopgap measure, it's worth running some seafoam thru the system. just follow the mix directions on the can.

Comment

ok my uncle's bike was having the same problems....i just finished tearing her down dissasembling the carb completely and giving them a thorough cleaning putting the jets in mopar penetrating fluid....the pilot jets were plugged solid lol....the bike's screaming now, so just thought i'd give ya an update...his low rpm bog is gone...

Comment

Working...
                              X