X

Need a little help/advice on putting a 1127cc in a 99 750cc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help/advice on putting a 1127cc in a 99 750cc

I wanting to make a big switch and turn my 99 Kat into a killer sleeper this winter, I am going to shoot for getting a 90-92 GSXR 1127 motor that will have it built up before installing.

My questions fall more into what parts do I need to get with the 1127cc motor or off of the bike I use for parts ? Also what will or will not work with my 99 frame, suspension, controls and wiring harness or other problems maybe some of you may have came accross by completing this switch.

Thanks

Brian

Check the thread installing larger engines in kats

Comment

Waltari,

Thanks for the heads up on the sticky, been around forums for a long time and know all about the stickies. Read them and searches as well, just looking for a little more detailed info or more importantly experances with putting a 90-92 GSXR1127 into a 99 Kat750.

Stay safe!

Comment

sweet lou has done this. shoot him a pm or maybe he'll post here. kinda interested in this myself.

Comment

Re: Need a little help/advice on putting a 1127cc in a 99 75

Originally posted by iowakatrider
          I wanting to make a big switch and turn my 99 Kat into a killer sleeper this winter, I am going to shoot for getting a 90-92 GSXR 1127 motor that will have it built up before installing.

My questions fall more into what parts do I need to get with the 1127cc motor or off of the bike I use for parts ? Also what will or will not work with my 99 frame, suspension, controls and wiring harness or other problems maybe some of you may have came accross by completing this switch.

Thanks

Brian

You will need.....

-88-92 Gixxer engine

-Carbs to match the bike (I got a set off a 89 Gixxer 750, work great)

-You will need parts from both altenators. You will need the actual altenator off the kat, but you will need altenator gear (the part that is inside the engine) so all the gears match up. Its a real easy swap.

-You will need a header off a gixxer. Right now I am using a gixxer 750 header, but I don't think it is allowing enough flow. I have a 1100 gixxer header from a 93 that I am gona put on though that will allow better flow, it is also a dual exhaust.

Everything else will stay. All electronics and what not. Think of it as a heart transplant. The engine is the heart, and that is really all you are switching out.

One other thing to remember....

The speedo will no longer work, without heavy modification that is. The Gixxer engines ran there speedo of the front wheel, the Katana uses the front sprocket. What we did was drill out the sporkcet bolt, and tap it so we could install the speedo mechanism. Took about 2 hours to drill and tap. And don't think that a cheap set of drill bits will work. You have to start very, very small, and slowley work up in size. And plan on destorying quite a few expensive drill bits.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Another thing that might work for the speedo, some of the newer kawasakis use a sprocket nut with longer sides that somehow act as a integrated signal generator instead of a seperate piece that threads into the output shaft...might try measure something like that up.

Comment

my 90' 600 has speedo pick-up on the front wheel as well.. dunno if the info's usable or not but i just thought i'd mention it
              I'll leave any extrapolation to the more mechanically inclined hehe
              -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

I was just thinking why not swap over to the older spedometer mechanism as well, although I bet you would have to modify the dash and get a new guage as well...

Comment

You might look into an SV setup. They have a magnetic pickup on the front wheel and I do believe that the wheels are the same. I just cannot remember how the sensor attaches to the fork.

Comment

Wow, lots of info; that what I was hoping for, many thanks to all of you! My bike is near new with only 4500 miles on it, so everything about it is perfect. A super sleeper Kat would just be the s#!t to surprise some of the local kids on their 750- 1000.

Lou, you say keep the carbs from the bike. Do you mean keep my 99 750 carbs or get the carbs from the doner gixxer?

Comment

Working...
                    X