X

REPLACING TURN SIGNALS WITH LEDS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REPLACING TURN SIGNALS WITH LEDS

I recently just replace my rear turn signals with LED's and now they do not blink at all. I know i can get a Load Converter but all those have to be is just a resistor. So i was wondering if someone could tell me what resistor value those are to make the turn signals blink again! thanks!

need more specifics like what kind of leds was it a kit? seperate leds ..ect... did you wire them up right and do they even come on... it could be that you have the polarity wrong.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Polarity is not wrong i install custom car stereo's i am not that dumb. I used standard 12volt LEDs and wired them directly to the stock wiring. They do come on but stay on solid. I think it's a 3 ohm resitor but i am not sure.

Comment

listen i am just trying to help and not suggestion you are "dumb." Some body did not eat their wheaties today.

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

ok sorry bro. Anyways do you know what value those things are?

Comment

don't know i would have to check mine at home.. My turns were integrated into the tail lights.. and the resistors were on board. i know i also had to put on another set of resistors to slow down the blink rate...

might even be as high as 120 ohm (1/8 watt)

there is a forumla you can use to figure it out though...

Comment

The resistors are pretty low..
              But that is not your problem..
              If you installed LEDs with out the Load reasistor you would be getting double flashing..

Since you install car stereos you might have the load resistor hanging around..

Try like 10 ohm 25 watt...
              Used as a passive crossover..

Comment

I may be way off here, but wouldnt you want the total circuit resistance pretty much equal what the resistance was with O.E. bulbs? If so, you could verify what resistance is on stock bulbs, and find a resistor that would bring the circuits resistance up to equal that of O.E.

Or, am i confused again?

Comment

i don't think you are confused My turn signals do not flash either, they are led's at both ends as well so I am interested in the answer please post it if you figure it out.

Comment

I used the meter and put them on the stock bulbs and they where 1.6 Ohms So two twelve volt LED's have 0 ohm resistance. So i went to radio shack got 2 1.5 Ohm 1 Wat resistors put one in line on the positive site on the right turn one on the posisitive side on the left turn, and WAYLA! They work and blink at the same rate as with stock! And it costed like $0.69. Hope you guys like this fix intstead of the load equalizer for $20

Comment

are they any dimmer? and if so is there any way to wire it to avoid it? I will have to try that as resistors are cheap

-Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by doubledscar
                        I used the meter and put them on the stock bulbs and they where 1.6 Ohms So two twelve volt LED's have 0 ohm resistance. So i went to radio shack got 2 1.5 Ohm 1 Wat resistors put one in line on the positive site on the right turn one on the posisitive side on the left turn, and WAYLA! They work and blink at the same rate as with stock! And it costed like $0.69. Hope you guys like this fix intstead of the load equalizer for $20

When you use a load resister your not supposed to just put it on one line (pos or neg) you actually connect one side to the pos and the other to the neg, this creates the load and makes them get hot so zip tie them to the frame to help dissapate heat better.

Comment

Sweet, glad that worked out for ya,, now ill remember this for if i get leds for mine

Comment

Originally posted by cannondale

Sweet, glad that worked out for ya,, now ill remember this for if i get leds for mine
                            Everyone wait!!!!!! It only worked for a few hours of riding. They got really hot and burnt up. Need to go with one that has more wattage! SUCKS!

Comment

What is the current rating of the LEDs? You probably have way too much current going through them and they won't last long. With a 1.5 ohm resistor in series with the LEDs, you would have about 1.2A going through them and need a resistor rated to at least 2.5 watts.
                              find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Working...
                              X