X

Odometer Inaccuracy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer Inaccuracy

Hi guys ... used the search options for this one, but didn't come up with much. My odometer/trip seems to be losing @ 5 miles for every 100 I am riding. I have the stock tires and have made no sprocket changes. The bike is lowered with bones 2", but that is the only change I have made. What could cause this inaccuracy? Could it also be affecting the speedo reading? Does it really matter, other than it will show fewer than actual miles (which could work out in my favor later)? Thoughts?
    ~ Lisa
    2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
    2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Best I can say is find one of those mobile radar things on the side of the road to check your speedo . Dunno WHAT could be up with your odo other than maybe a bad cable or gears in there somewhere .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Sounds like the perfect setup if you ask me. I'd just leave well enough alone.

It's a very common occurance from what I've seen.

buc
      it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

The speedo is usually about 5% to 10% percent off with all bikes. So say you are going 65mph, you may be only going 60mph (thats how my bike is now...) Something that can cure that is something like a speedo healer or yellow box. This will fix the speedo issues as well as your milage.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Re: Odometer Inaccuracy

Originally posted by Texas Blonde
          My odometer/trip seems to be losing @ 5 miles for every 100 I am riding.
          Standard deviation.

Your bike take's it speed readings from the transmission output shaft (the front chain sprocket, effectively). Anything that varies the distance on the ground compared to the "idealized" set-up will alter the bike's speed and distance calculations, including:
          (you already covered this Sprocket changes
          as well as
          Tire wear
          Tire brand (not all 150/70ZR17's are identical in actual size)
          Tire growth (all tires increase in size during their first week or so of use, anywhere from about 2% to about 8% for typical street tires, up to about 24% for track tires).

Plus there is a legal requirement for the manufacturer of the bike to have the speedo over-report the speed, so that they can't be blamed (legally) for you getting a speeding ticket inadvertently.

My thoughts:
          If you are still riding on the Macadams (the "stock" tires), sell them ASAP (eBay) and get yourself a set of Metzeler Z6's or Pirelli Diablo Stradas. The difference in grip/handling is much more important than the 5% inaccuracy you might currently have -- and may save your life at some point.

SweetLou listed two of the four possible fixes (yellow box, or speedohealer). The other two are printing new covers for your gauges that are calibrated to your actual speed, or changing tire brands to something that will get closer to zero percent.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have been considering the tire change, so it looks like I just had the little push I needed. I will start there and see what happens. I know it's a good thing, as long as nothing else is getting screwed up. On the next service I'll have the cable checked just to see. I'll let you know what type of difference it makes with the odometer. Thanks for your replies.
            ~ Lisa

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

Comment

IOn the next service I'll have the cable checked just to see. I'll let you know what type of difference it makes with the odometer.
              FYI, there is no Speedo cable on your bike, it is driven by and electronic signal that reads the rotaion of the front sprocket.

Comment

Oh yeah , I guess it's just us with the old tech machines that could have a problem like that . Don't listen to me , I'm we todd did .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

On the next service I'll have the cable checked just to see. I'll let you know what type of difference it makes with the odometer. Thanks for your replies.
                  As chriskatana pointed out, there is no "cable" driven speedo in your Kat (98+ Kats are driven electronically with a pulse sensor at the speedo and a hall-sensor type magnetic pick-up at the tranny end). Thus, either your bike is getting a signal or it's not, and if it wasn't, your speedo would be dead.

Originally posted by md86
                  Don't listen to me , I'm we todd did .
                  Huh?

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Huh?

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    I'm "we-taw-did"

Comment

~ Lisa

Comment

Getting new tires this weekend. My husband favors the Metzeler because he has always ridden on them, but has no firsthand experience with the Pirelli's. What should be considered when choosing between the two?
                        ~ Lisa

Comment

Between the Metzlers Z6's and the Perilli Diablo Stradas (there new tire), they are supposed to be pretty close in performance and everything, but I found that the Perilli's were a tad bit cheaper in price at Americanmototire.com
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by chriskatana
                            Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Huh?

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            I'm "we-taw-did"
                            You both have it wrong. The real saying is: "I'M SOFA KING WE TAUGHT IT!"
                            1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

WoW.

This thread got really off track
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X