Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Cleaning chrome? New D and D pipe has something on it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning chrome? New D and D pipe has something on it.

Im not sure what it is. Its sorta smeared on. Im guessing whatever it is it got on it while it was hot and sorta "baked" on. Its not too bad, but if I notice it thats all that matters. Any suggestions on something that will clean chrome no matter what is on it? Thanks.
    Custom flat black,pin stripes,mesh mod,Custom fender eliminator,signal integrator,Custom handlebars,New smoke screen,Braada cowl soon,clear signals.Later-Jet kit,K&N air filter ............................

for chrom either use a strong glass cleaner and tripple 0 steel wool, or your best bet is to go to like advanced auto or something like it and pick up a can of Eagle 1 Chrom polish i has lil cotten wads inside and it cleans AWESOME i did it on a guys Mercury Marader and he was sooo happy with it

Comment

Also, may want try buffer stuff, and just use a cloth to rub it in. Corey had the same problem with his, and when he got done, the pipe looked damn near new.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

If it's bugs, dirt, etc., clean with lots of water, a soft sponge and dish detergent. The big deal is to rehydrate it so it wants to wash away without scratching. Afterwards, windex and a paper-towel or some proper metal cleaner (I use BlueMagic Metal Polish with good results).

If it's burned-on sneaker or shoe sole, it will be far harder to get off, and require use of either a razor or some advanced chemistry.

TIP:
        Scotchbrite comes in different abrasion ratings. Find one that won't scratch brass/copper cookware and have at it. It shouldn't scratch the exhaust, unlike steel wool, although it may take more time & effort to do it's thing.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

From what I see in your sig the D&D is stainless, or you thought it was, and it probably is. Never, ever use a steel wool pad on it (Sorry Duff). You will contaminate the stainless steel with iron and it could cause rust spots.
          Try some Mothers Polish. HS2020 turned me on to it at The Gap and I swear the stuff works great. My V&H looks better than it did when I first got it.

Comment

nearchrome and time. Rubber will actually burn off in time. you can apply nearchrome by dabbing it on the area effected and gently use a razor blade at a 45* angle and slowly scrape the rubber off. trying to not touch the metal.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

wow, thanks for all the replies. Now that I think about it, I used some real strong wheel cleaner, the kind you spray on, wait, then rinse. Well it worked great, my wheels look so much better, but upon rinsing it it may have splashed onto the pipe. I dont know if thats it for sure. But Ill get some chrome polish, or something else at the auto shop. Thanks again
              PS, it looks like drops of water when it doesnt get dried right. You know the water stain look, but thats not it. Anyway Ill give some of your ideas a try, but I must agree, im not using steel wool, no matter how delicate.
              Custom flat black,pin stripes,mesh mod,Custom fender eliminator,signal integrator,Custom handlebars,New smoke screen,Braada cowl soon,clear signals.Later-Jet kit,K&N air filter ............................

Comment

Working...
              X