X

Problems with the rear wheel coming out of alignment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the rear wheel coming out of alignment

I have a 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 with 16000 miles on it and I am the second owner. About 2 week ago I snapped the chain, which was the original. I ordered a new chain and took off the rear wheel and put the new chain on. Now the nut on the tension adjuster on the opposite side of the chain keeps coming loose and backing off causing the back tire to come out of alignment. I went to the local motorcycle shop and they told me the nylon on the inside of the nut must be worn out and they gave me a new nut. I put it on and snugged it tight against the old one and made sure the tire was aligned properly. I also made sure the castle nut was still tight and it was. I checked it today and found that it has backed off once again, any ideas what could be causing this? It never did this before I took the back wheel off, so I am wondering if I did something wrong?

if I read correctly you snugged the new nut to the old one but left the old one in place? I think you shoulda discarded the old one. make sure the threads are in good shape on the nut and the stud. you could try some blue loctite and see if that helps.

Comment

I took the old one off, and the new one is still doing the same thing. I will get some locktite and try that.

Comment

Lets see...

If the adjuster itself is moving backwards, the axle is not properly tightened. If it were, the adjuster would not move, even if the nut was lose. Tighten properly the axle, then even if the nut goes flying away, the rear tire should not come out of alignment.

If the nut is properly tightened, and the axle to, there is no way in hell you would need to locktite it.
        Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

Originally posted by Süsser Tod
          Lets see...

If the adjuster itself is moving backwards, the axle is not properly tightened. If it were, the adjuster would not move, even if the nut was lose. Tighten properly the axle, then even if the nut goes flying away, the rear tire should not come out of alignment.

If the nut is properly tightened, and the axle to, there is no way in hell you would need to locktite it.
          +1
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I can tighten the axle more, I just don't want to go to far, or can I go to far? This is my first bike, and I don't know too much about them, just hands-on learning. If the axle is properly tightened, could you still tighten the nuts and have the adjuster move the axle? How would I know how far to tighten the axle. It's at the point now where the cotter pin doesn't fit into the grooves on the castle nut. I checked all over the work area in my garage and there are no missing parts, so I don't know what to do about it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              Originally posted by Süsser Tod
              Lets see...

+1
              +1
              Originally posted by czycoot1318
              It's at the point now where the cotter pin doesn't fit into the grooves on the castle nut. I checked all over the work area in my garage and there are no missing parts, so I don't know what to do about it now.
              I had a similar problem with a kat I had, just go to the hardeare store and get some washers to space the nut out so that the cotter pin with engaget he castle nut.
              You'd have to try really hard to go "too far"

tighten that bastage up.. just remember, with a long breaker bar, a lot of effort is not necessary..

Comment

just be careful when you tighten with a breaker bar. do it with the breaker bar towards the front of the bike and push down....not with the bar facing the rear and pulling up. If you do it that way, you can push the bike off the centerstand if you have one....and probably the sidestand as well.
                I know this cuz I did it once. I knocked it right off the centerstand....and was a very lucky mofo to catch the bike before it toppled over.
                Now I just use an impact gun.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Well I was able to tighten the axle properly and went out last night for about 4 hours and everything is still tight. I just need to pick up a couple washers so the castle nut and cotter pin line up correctly. Thanks for all your help

Comment

Wait...
                    Nylon!?!?!
                    What Nylon?!?!?!

Comment

Yeah , I have no nylon nuts on MY bike . WTF . And torque wrenches are good . You can buy them for $20 .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I would highly suggest always torqueing the rear axle nut.......60 ftlb.

Comment

Working...
                        X