X

clutch drag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch drag

when I start the bike in gear (especially cold ) it will move forward a bit. will adjusting the clutch cable remedy this or do I have bigger problems? I read where the wrong oil could cause this so I might change it.

Re: clutch drag

In any wet-clutch motorcycle application, cold (thick) oil being pumped into the tranny under pressure will cause the rear wheel to want to rotate even with the clutch in. As the oil comes up to temp, it thins out and the effect goes away, because there isn't enough viscosity left to push the plates against the driveline losses without added input from the engine.

It's common for it to do it on the centerstand or racestand (rear wheel in the air); it shouldn't want to move the bike substancially when the wheel is in contact with the ground -- if it does, yes, you need to adjust your clutch.

Simple test: bike hot, bike on centerstand in 1st, clutch in. If the rear wheel starts moving with the oil hot and the clutch in, the clutch is outside of it's acceptible adjustment range.

If in doubt, have someone at a shop check your clutch adjustment (usually a service advisor will do it for free in a matter of about 60 seconds).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

In other words when the bike's cold , that's normal ! 8) If it's hot , then it needs adjusting .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
        In other words when the bike's cold , that's normal ! 8) If it's hot , then it needs adjusting .

Good job md86!!
        Are you going to be CP's translator??

Comment

Just tryin to help .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Help MD LOL

yes what MD said to synopsize CP LOL
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
            X