X

a couple problems w/ a 93 kat.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple problems w/ a 93 kat.....

Hello everyone. Nice forum ya got here.....

I have no idea why my bike does this but sometimes when im goin down the road in 2nd gear it tends to kinda jerk hard or slip....usually just once or twice real quick .....if it even does it at all. its kinda hard to explain. I dont think its the motor and its not the chain and sprokets either..... maybe something to do w/ the clutch or tranny????
    anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions???

also, when im goin down the road and hit my rear brake the ass end of the bike wants to scoot to the side the brakes are on. i cant put my finger on whats causing that either.
    thanks alot

Checked your chain alignment lately ? When the bike "slips" , does the engine rev , but you don't accelerate , or is it something else . Is it ONLY in second gear ? Just fishin for more details for the more knowledgable here ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I have checked the chain....it seems to be alighened good to me.

Its a brand new rk chain and sprockets kit...i bought it because my chain was getting pretty bad and my sprockets were pretty wore. i thought that would stop the little jerk it had....but it still does it. its only in second gear. it does rev out a little bit but it happens so fast that it only gains maybe a grand of r's if that and no u dont accelerate. its usually only when i get in to the throttle.
      it doesnt always do it....just sometimes.

it has me pretty confused....both the rear end moving when i brake and the jerk in 2nd gear!?!?!

Comment

Mine does something similiar to that, if I get on it heavy in 1st and the switch to second and get back on the gas, it almost feels like the back tire is slipping on the pavement (i don't think that is case that's just the best discription I could come up with).
        93' 750, I just washed the bugs off, let's go for a ride!

Comment

mine is just a quick jerk. the motor revs out a little then it seems like it catches and thats it. sometimes it will do it 2 x. sometimes it jerks bad....this morning i was ridin thru town and got on it hard into second and it did it bad enough to chirp the tire.

Comment

I ain't a mechanic OR very experianced with clutch problems , but THAT sounds like one (slipping clutch) . Do an oil change lately ? What kind you use ? How many miles on the bike / What KIND of miles (hard launches and lots of city riding or pampered garage queen ) ?
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I figured out why the rear end would scoot when i braked. I didnt have my axle nut quite tight enough. I torqued it down pretty good and now the rear end dont move when i brake....so thats good.

as far as the jerking/sliping problem...it still does that
              the bike has around 13000 miles on. its probably getting about time to change the oil again....i have around 2000 miles on it since the last change. i use suzuki oil.....and i do drive it pretty hard about 50 % of the time....
              an oil change might make all the difference....i'll have to see if i can get up to the bike shop and get some oil this weekend...
              anyone else have any ideas? suggestions on oil? anything???
              thanks

Comment

The common causes:

If the chain uses a masterlink, the masterlink is installed incorrectly or the chain itself is defective, and you are getting a spot where a single link isn't engaging correctly.

Clutch plate slip. Either the clutch plates slip when either (A) chemicals get on them that are not compatible with wet clutches (such as PFTE aka Teflon, graphite and/or molybdenum disulfide aka Moly), or (B) the plates are simply getting too thin, or (C) the clutch springs are getting weak with age & use, or (D) the clutch friction plates are glazed due to abuses (attempted burn-outs, wheelies, etc). The problem is more likely to be noticed in the lowest gear you really get on the gas; if you habit is to get out of first and then lay on the gas, the problem will exhibit itself primarily in 2nd gear (and normally only on heavy throttle application); with time, the problem will spread out to more gears and more RPM ranges. In rare cases, it may simply be because of a misadjusted clutch cable, where the play isn't coming out all the way.

Failing or failed cush drives. The rear sprocket has rubber under it to act as a cushion for drive-line lash, to help suck up sudden changes of torque on the rear sprocket. These cushions get old, stiff and crumble. If they are original for a bike your age ('93), they are toast and need to be replaced. Use of a new sprocket and chain will amplify this issue because the power from the engine is being delivered to the rear sprocket more effectively (less loss due to chain stretch, etc).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

that makes since, but how come i can go out and launch from first and take it to red like all day long and it wont do it? and i can open it up thru all the gears only getting out of the throttle a little bit to shift and it will only do it in 2nd? if it was the clutch plates whouldnt it do it when ever i got on it hard? im not real keen on clutches so thanks alot for all your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by laksta_003
                    that makes since, but how come i can go out and launch from first and take it to red like all day long and it wont do it? and i can open it up thru all the gears only getting out of the throttle a little bit to shift and it will only do it in 2nd? if it was the clutch plates whouldnt it do it when ever i got on it hard? im not real keen on clutches so thanks alot for all your help guys.
                    If it doesn't do the same problem in 1st -ever- , then it is probably a 2nd gear engagement dog problem (or 2nd gear gear-tooth issue), where 2nd gear isn't fully engaging at first, and at some point it does ('snapping into place' or jumping a tooth and then resnapping into place). This can be a very expensive issue to fix if it really is the cause, and most riders find it cheaper to swap the engine & tranny than to tear-down the whole thing to fix the tranny (parts are only about $180 - $250, but labor is 12 to 20 hours).

Try this:
                    instead of shifting 1-2, try doing a double shift, 1-N, then N-2. Try this for a while. If it eliminates the problem, then your shift linkage needs to be adjusted or parts which can be replaced without tearing down the engine need to be renewed (much simpler, cheaper). If it still does it only in 2nd, it's time to decide if you can live with it...

Good Luck!
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X