X

Tank removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank removal

Alright, ran a search for removing the gas tank, and the only results I found were just for changing spark plugs and what not.

I have to take the Tank completely off to go to a painter, and I'm not sure what sort of preperations to make. I assume I'm going to take off the tank like normal, and then dump any gas in the tank out into a hand held fuel tank. Am I right? Again, as in all my trips to learning town, any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Crackshot.

Take tank off like normal and empty gas into can. Just remember, the fumes that remain in the tank can ignite even if you have no liquid gas left. I think there is some treatment you can pour into the tank to stabilize the fumes. Maybe someone will chime in with that info.

Comment

Emptying the tank is not as easy as "dumping" the gas.. You really need to drain it via the petcock.
      After it appears empty tun, twist and tilt it until more comes out. The tank has baffles built into it to keep the gas from sloshing around and the filer neck protrudes into the tank quite a ways.
      This prevents gas spilling out while railing

Comment

Re: Tank removal

Originally posted by Crackshot
        Alright, ran a search for removing the gas tank, and the only results I found were just for changing spark plugs and what not.

I have to take the Tank completely off to go to a painter, and I'm not sure what sort of preperations to make. I assume I'm going to take off the tank like normal, and then dump any gas in the tank out into a hand held fuel tank. Am I right? Again, as in all my trips to learning town, any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
        Crackshot.
        Well.....don't take this the wrong way, but if the level of knowledge you have on the subject requires the type of questions you have asked, then it is not likely there is much you can really do to prepare it for the painter. Actually, most painters are not too crazy about John Q Public doing any prep work. More often that not, it is easier to start from scratch than to pick up from the possible mess the client could have made.

Just drain the tank the best you can and take it in like that. The painter will handle the rest. If the tank does not need to be welded or anything else like that...such as grinding, then fumes are not so much of an issue.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe

Well.....don't take this the wrong way, but if the level of knowledge you have on the subject requires the type of questions you have asked, then it is not likely there is much you can really do to prepare it for the painter. Actually, most painters are not too crazy about John Q Public doing any prep work. More often that not, it is easier to start from scratch than to pick up from the possible mess the client could have made.

Just drain the tank the best you can and take it in like that. The painter will handle the rest. If the tank does not need to be welded or anything else like that...such as grinding, then fumes are not so much of an issue.
          Yeah, I'm not doing any body prep work. I just meant as far as making sure the gas was out, taking what ever needs to be taken off/out off/out, etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot
            Originally posted by Mojoe

Yeah, I'm not doing any body prep work. I just meant as far as making sure the gas was out, taking what ever needs to be taken off/out off/out, etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
            don't forget the pics when it's done
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

take it off a day early leave it open and in the sun so it dries pretty well too

Comment

Working...
              X