X

starting bike after jet kit install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting bike after jet kit install

OK so I jetted the bike (97 kat 600) and now it's all back together and it won't start. I primed it for a few minutes and nothing, it just grinds like it wants to start but no kick. Once or twice it sputtered like it wanted to start but no start. (it started fine before the jet kit install, but I put slip ons on it last fall and it idle'd rough and missed ever since, the shop reccoimmended jetting it to fix this, so I installed a K&N air filter, and the jet kit the other day and now it won't start)

Also where should the idle be? I've played with it alot in the past, and since it's been jetted I don't know where to set it to. I thought I'd figure this out once it was running but since it won't turn over I'm wondering if this is part of the problem.

I installed the new needles and jets, and backed out the fuel/air mixture screw after drilling it out, I followed doug's instructions to a T, I also referenced Tre's page while doing the install as well, so I don't think I missed anything..

anybody have any ideas?

Have you changed your plugs yet, or at least checked them for healthy spark? They could be fouled from past issues. Also, make sure you try it with no choke -- the jet kit should run a richer mix, so adding full choke may well put it into "way to rich" mix blend.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Three things needed to run:
      Air
      Fuel
      Spark

Try a shot of starter fluid in the air box while cranking it and see if it fires up. If it does, check to make sure you are getting fuel into the carbs.
      Ron
      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Yeah I was thinking it maybe a fuel issue.. unfortunately I can't work on this until Saturday ( I work out of town) so I plan on pulling the tank off and checking to see if the carbs have fuel in the bowls.. and then go from there. Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know how it turns out, P.S it started before I pulled the carbs to jet them so I'm thinking the plugs are ok..

Comment

Originally posted by bgb443
          it started before I pulled the carbs to jet them so I'm thinking the plugs are ok..
          Then it could be something far simpler:
          Forgot to reconnect the vacuum line to the petcock (set petcock to prime -- if bike starts, this is the issue).
          Somehow kinked the fuel line between the tank and the carbs, starving it for fuel (or put it so that the fuel filter is in an uphill path -- no pump, so everything has to run downhill between the tank and the carbs).

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

you bring up a good point cyperpoet, the bike is sitting on a slight uphill angle, it's in the fiances garage which for whatever reason slopes uphill (older home).. so maybe if I roll it out of there where it's level it may start since there's no fuel pump? Think that would help?

Comment

I would try setting it level and as dumb as it sounds, make sure there is plenty of fuel in the tank as well. I had trouble getting mine started after I jetted mine, and come to find out, even though it looked as if there was still enough fuel in the tank, there was not enough for it to flow properly into the bowls to fill them. After I put some more gas in it, it took a little trying, but it finally started and has been fine ever since.

Comment

yet another good point, it is low on fuel, but like you said it appears to have plenty to start.. I didn't think of this b/c it started fine before I jetted it, and I ran it low on fuel knowing I was going to be taking the tank off, and a light tank is easier to deal with then one that is filled with fuel...I'll grab the gas can and fill it up to half way or so and give it a shot. I'm willing to try just about anything before I break it all down again...
                I fought with the airbox for about an hour until i realized that I needed to pull the carbs and mount the airbox to it, and then install the carbs and the airbox as one unit on a pre 98 kat - DUH!!

Comment

ok so I added some fuel to the tank and no luck, in the morning I'm going to tear the tank off and see what's going on.. if I find that the carbs are getting fuel, how do I go about determining if the plugs are firing?
                  A: where are the plugs on a 97 kat
                  B: how do I check them for spark?

cyberpoet, you said about the fuel filter possibly being in uphill path, where is the fuel filter to see where it is in the path between the tank and the carbs?

Comment

Plugs are in the top of the engine, under the gas tank -- follow the spark plug wires to find them. They are recessed down inside the top of the valve covers. Your bike should take NGK CR9EK. You can check them for spark by holding them with a pair of insulated pliers against the engine with the spark plug cap still on the plug and hitting the starter button -- you'll see the spark if it's there.

If there is a fuel filter, it should be in line between the petcock and the carbs. If so, make sure the arrow on the filter is pointing towards the carbs and that the carb end of the filter is lower than the intake end.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

charge the battery...seriously..just try it.

Comment

so I pulled the tank off, checked one of tthe bowls for fuel and they had fuel in them, so I pulled the plugs, they looked nasty, black tips, looked like they'd been wet before, smelled of fuel, and when tested they did not spark.. so I'm off to find some plugs, and cyber you were right they are the NGK cr9ek. wish me luck, sure hope this fixes my problem.

Comment

so after the fiance drug me shopping, I finally got to get some plugs, but I won't get to put them in until morning at this point...stay tuned.

Comment

so I changed the plugs, and nothing.. then I hit the airbox with a shot of starter fluid (thought that maybe it had a lot of fuel in it sitting, so I thought what the hell.. well it fired, and boy did it, it started up and redlined at 1400k, so now I have another question, where should the idle be after jetting a bike? and which way is down? (dumb question I know, but I don't have my manual handy so I don't remember, I think it's clockwise is down, I want to crank it all the way down and then out a turn or two and see if that fixes it.. anybody know off hand where the idle should be?

Comment

ok so I turned the idle the entire way in, and then out two turns and tried to start it and it did the same thing (redlined at 1400) so I shut it down and turned the idle out (something like 10-15 turns) and it redlined again when I started it, anybody have any ideas here? I'm stumped..

Comment

Working...
                              X