X

Newbie tips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie tips

Can anyone give me any "must do's" that I should check out when I get my bike? I have a 2003 750 w/ 6,500 miles that I will be receiving this week from Cali. Any help would be great! Thanks!!!
    Not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine!

Re: Newbie tips

Originally posted by Jarhead767
    Can anyone give me any "must do's" that I should check out when I get my bike? I have a 2003 750 w/ 6,500 miles that I will be receiving this week from Cali. Any help would be great! Thanks!!!
    Have one of the socal boyz look it over for you.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

fender shop (also refered to as Shovel Chop). Maybe the integrated rear singals from clear alternatives (I think the 2003 had the same rear as the busa.....) Ignition advancer. Switch to synthetic oil. Those are the cheap things.

Now for power, and the next stage up for spendyness....

Slip on or Full exhaust (header back). With the Full exhaust, switch to Pod filters and a stage 3 jet kit. (easy to do)

New and better tires if the bike has the stock ones. (Diablo Strada's or Metzler Z6's for the type of weather you will be in)

Now the really expesive stuff.

New Ohlins Rear Shock (limited quantity before the price goes way up, so act soon), rebuild the front forks with stiffer springs or emulators.

For bling-Bling effect-

LED's or Neons hidden within the body work, to shine light out of fairing holes and the such. Chrome certain covers on the bike. Custom Paint. the list can really go on here.

And if you need any help, I'm always available!
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Ride it as much as you can and the ideas will come to you!!!!

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind is to check the thing over COMPLETELY to see if any shortcuts have been done on it...check that all the fasteners are there, that the cables and levers move freely, that there aren't any rat's nests in the wiring, that the battery isn't corroding, that the oil plug isn't leaking and is tightened to spec (DON'T OVERTIGHTEN! Very easy to do...) Check the chain condition, put more lube on if needed, change it if necessary. Check brake conditions, change pads if necessary. Check steering head bearings and look for tire cupping.

First thing I'd do is change the oil and filter, quite frankly. Look in the oil (and on the bottom of the drain plug, which I believe is still magnetic in the '03s, for any metal filings. If you're really anal, you can break the filter open and check there, too.

If you're really into wrenching, you can check the valve clearance as well.

You do all that, and you'll know that you've got a good ride.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Thanks to all who have taken the time to give me thier advise. I really appreciate it!!
            Not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine!

Comment

Re: Newbie tips

'03/6500 miles, the following things are due or will soon be due if the previous owner didn't do them:

(A) Change brake fluid; full bleed on both ends.
              (B) Fork oil replacement.
              (C) Clean/lube chain.
              (D) Run some fuel system cleaner though the bike (techron is my preference).
              (E) Full inspection (lights/frame/steering/tires/etc). Repair/replace as necessary.

At 7500 miles or as soon as you get it, depending on your wallet:
              (F) Oil & filter change, valve adjustment, check/clean air filter, torque various bolts (such as exhaust header bolts) back to spec.

After that, you can start thinking about the type of riding you will be doing and what mods will make you happier doing that kind of riding...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X