Valve adj.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve adj.

Quick question here,

How often should a valve adjustment be done on a pre 98 600? I don't have my manual yet but think it may need to be done on my bike.

Thanks in advance.
    89' Katana 600

well....at the risk of getting some negative feedback on this....I think the valve adjustment theory is a bit exagerated. I have gone ...shit....a longshot guess here....maybe 30-40k miles without ever having mine done. My kat I have now has 43k kms on it, and I doubt the tard who I bought it from ever did it. he didn't even do the plugs and the tech at the dealer suspected they were the original plugs from 93. No wonder I was only getting about 20mpg from it last year.

So my advice....and for sure it will not be the same advice as other give you, but I say that unless you start hearing valve ticking more than usual, or it starts to smoke, I would say don't even worry about it. However, I would not go past 20k miles....just to be safe and to at least be able to say you do it.

Other than that, I think it is supposed to be what? every 3 oil change or something like that? I don't know for sure. All I know is it is scheduled way too frequently for me to find it practical at the price it cost. And I don't say that cuz I am cheap.....just practical.

However, if the bike is new to you and you have no idea when the previous owner did it last, you should do it anyway just for peace of mind.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Well my brother owned it before me and put like maybe 1k miles on it. Then he stuck it in his garage for like four years. The guy he bought it from had like 10k miles on it. I am really thinking that both of them did not do it so at 11k miles I am unsure if it needs to be done. I am not so good at hearing the noises everyone talks about. It does sound like a "sewing machine" as I have heard others refer to it.

Does this sond like it should be done?
      89' Katana 600

Comment

(A) Factory spec on the valve adjustments is at 600 miles, then 7500 miles and every 7500 after that. You may find that when you check the valves, they do not need adjustment -- or they well may. Only way to know is to check them.

(B) The sewwing machine noise is usually a result of a loose cam timing chain, combined with use of less-than-ideal motor oils. If it's not too far gone, it can be fixed inexpensively by cleaning or replacing the cam chain tensioner assembly (item #7 on this parts fiche file (this is for pre-98 Kat 600)). Use of good oils will help keep this issue from developing or redeveloping.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My factory manual says... "Inspect at intitially 1000km(600 miles,2 months) and every 6000 km(4000 miles, 12 months)."

Valve clearance (when cold) 0.004 - 0.006 in.

Your looking at about a half day job the first time you do it, then you can probably cut that down in half the next time. The biggest pain is getting the cover out of the frame, from experience.....be patient it will come out at the right angle After adjustment you be able to tell the difference in sound, and then you'll know when its time for another adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbass
            Well my brother owned it before me and put like maybe 1k miles on it. Then he stuck it in his garage for like four years. The guy he bought it from had like 10k miles on it. I am really thinking that both of them did not do it so at 11k miles I am unsure if it needs to be done. I am not so good at hearing the noises everyone talks about. It does sound like a "sewing machine" as I have heard others refer to it.

Does this sond like it should be done?
            ya...I am sorry about that......mentioning using the sound of them as a gauge to adjust. i have just been around this stuff so long that it is second nature to me and i assume everyone knows what i am talking about.
            so get them adjusted anyway....it's due from the way you talk. Do like Kid says....listen for a difference in sound after the adjustment. if you start hearing the old sound coming back in the future (if the valves are indeed making noise now...they may be fine and you won't hear any change at all), then you will kniow you are due again
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
            X