Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Am having a "Top Speed" problem as well...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am having a "Top Speed" problem as well...

Hey guy's;

I was reading another guy's "post" (I believe his screenname was Shipster, Something like that...) Anyway, He was having problem's getting his Katana 600 to do over 100mph... Well, I am having the same problem with my 06 600 Katana; Only difference is, Mine won't go much over 80mph without some real "strain"... By the way, I have checked the "sproket" count, Which is a stock setup 47/15... And have just recently ordered a "new" filter, Took out the old one yesterday, (Did'nt look too bad, But then again, It's kinda hard to tell) Will be putting in the new one tommorow... Hopefully this will make the difference, But I don't know... You see, This other guy who was having the very same problem, Could'nt get his to go over a 100mph... Seemed that by replacing the air filter, (I believe it was a K&N, Once he changed back to the stock filter) His problem was solvled... But what's got me worried is that after taking my air filter out, I see that it is a "Stock" to begin with, Not a K&N.... So if this new filter does'nt change anything, What do I do next? Oh yeah, As for the RPM to MPH Ratio, It's a little "off" from what's considered "par for course", Which I believe is 30mph/30,000rpm 40mph/40,000 etc...
    As for any real history on the bike, I am actually still in the process of buying the bike, Although I took physical poss. of the bike, Giving him 500.00 of the 1850.00 agreed upon price (The bike has a "Salvage" title on it) Having been laid down on it's right side which only ended up scratching the fairing up a little bit, Breaking a turn signal & Mirror which have since been replaced, No big deal.... Bike only has a little over 12,000 mi. on it, Which as I understand is about average for a 06... Anyway, Am supposed to be paying the remainer of what's owed here in the next 30 day's, Although the guy I'm buying it from "GUARENTEED" it to pass inspection, And "GUARENTEED" it not to have any sort of "Major" Mechanical problem's... Just kinda wondering now if maybe their's not some "eternal" engine damage with the bike not wanting to go over 80 or so MPH? As for how it run's otherwise, It seem's to run fine, No problem starting it, Going thru the gear's, 1 thru 6, Idle's fine, etc... It's definately got me puzzled, Anyone out there got any advice, Idea's for me, I would sure appreciate it..... Troy mauiwowie_61

has it sat for a period of time ??
    possible the fuel is kind of crapped out

I had the big o-ring dealy fall off the back of the air filter on my 04 750 , felt like I was going to stall / run out of fuel at high speed/rpm
    I put on the choke when it happened and it smoothed out and got me in from the highway
    The o-ring fell into the under seat tray so I just used some rubber cement to re attach
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Fresh gas, fresh filter, check for vacuum leaks. If the fresh gas doesn't improve things much, you couuld try a little fuel additive cleaner.

Over all though, I would talk to the person your purchasing the bike from, and advise him there is an issue. Ask for him to resolve it before final purchase.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

as stated, get some fresh gas, maybe some seafoam to clean out the carbs a bit, maybe they're dirty and not pumping gas like they should be at the higher speeds.
        2004 Katana
        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

i would run some seafoam change plugs.and wile you have the plugs out check the comp. in all 4
          sigpic

Comment

check the sinc but +1 on the gas
            voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
            82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
            83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

Fuel filter
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
              X