X

strange engine sound

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange engine sound

i was riding to work doing 70 mph when i felt the bike loose some power. I pulled over and then i heard a ticking sound from the engine but the rpm gage remained at 1500 and the oil is full. the sound is hard to discribe it is a low tick at idle but loud when you rev the engine. Any ideas?

I think I may have had something similar in my bike. Kept taking it to the dealer, and they either had no idea, or never heard it. A few times it had quite just as I got to the dealer.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

if it is a really loudish noise and sounds a bit harsh....well not to alarm you or anything, but I have heard of the cam chain jumping a tooth before, just like on a car because of too much slack. it would explain the power loss cuz it throws the timing off. It is also possible that the valves are just "kissing" the pistons....as in just making subtle contact as the piston "ticks" it before it closes. I am not sure how the new kats are setup to prevent this, so I can't say for sure. I have never had the experience on a bike, or know anyone personally who did. I was just told it could happen. To be on the safe side, if the problem is not resolved, I would check into this. If it is what happened, it is possible it could jump yet another tooth....then WHAM....there goes the valves and pistons.

But like I said, this is just hearsay from what I have heard. I have no personal experience with that on a bike.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Good idea, and it is easy to check for slack, just pull off the valve cover.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

do you remember the moment it happened? pretty much 99.9% of the time, the cam chain will jump the tooth on the moment of rapid deceleration....at least on a car anyway. That is when the slack in the chain will "push" the chain over the tooth.

But like I said....I am just speculating.....guessing really. I am not even sure it is possible on your bike. Just giving you something to think about, "in case".

Comment

thanks i will look into it, if there are any more ideas please let me know.

Comment

is the loss of power still evident? or does it feel normal again?

Comment

If a valve adjustment hasn't been done recently, do one. If one has been done recently, I suspect the noise is actually a valve which didn't have the nut adjuster torqued down correctly and now has vibrated a little loose, so what you're hearing is the valve stem slapping around a bit. That's the common source for a tick sound on the 98+ (as verses to a sewwing machine sound).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X