X

Did I do something wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I do something wrong?

I have a 01 750 with 10000 miles. I just finished my first valve job sence I have owned it.

The first thing I noticed when I started was that I could not get the feeler gauge under any of the adjusters!
    So I got everything adjusted IN: 0.13 and EX: 0.20. Double checked twice before everything was closed up.
    Now its all back together after the carb sync and I hear a tapping I never noticed before. I know Katana's are a noisey engine but I am worried I did something wrong and I am leaving for a 800 mile bike trip on friday.

If anybody could help shed some light on this it would be great.

Anyone bringing a trailer on that 800 mile road trip?

Comment

Does the '01 750 have the nut-type adjusters?

It is important to place an equally-sized feeler gauge under the other tappet that is next to the one you are adjusting. This helps reduce deflection of the lifter which can throw off your adjustment.

Also, as long as your adjustments don't result in clearances that are too tight, you shouldn't have to worry about engine damage....unless something comes loose.

In any case, if something feels or sounds off, take the valve cover off and check the clearances again. Make sure the camshafts are in the correct position with respect to the cylinder you are adjusting. Also, rotate the engine at least two revolutions after you make the adjustment to ensure the clearance is correct. Be careful not to over-tighten the nut because it is possible to snap the tappet.....ask me how I know
      Last edited by joe; 07-28-2009, 11:11 PM.
      "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Originally posted by okaytodive View Post
        If anybody could help shed some light on this it would be great.
        It certainly is possible that the clearances were to tight before and now they are correct. However, we must ask did you follow the correct procedure for doing the valve inspection?

Here's the how to that Trinc did for the post Kats on Cyber's site.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

And since Joe brought it up about feeler gauges.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I did go by the how to from CP's site. And yes it does have the nut type adjusters Joe but when I was checking them I slid another guage under the one I was not working on to help with false readings. I think it is worth doing it again just for piece of mind, I don't want to end up on the side of the road waiting for AAA.
          Last edited by okaytodive; 07-29-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Noise at idle is not uncommon with solid lifters. The slower it idles, the more valve noise you'll have.

Comment

That is true but this is a noise at 1300rpm that is still noticable at riding speeds.

Comment

Working...
              X