X

chain legnth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain legnth

I am droping a tooth in the front sprocket and leaving rear # the same. I am wondering if a 120 link chain is too long. I thought that it was supposed to be 118 links. Not sure if I have recieved correct chain. How do you remove links from a new chain if I do need to shorten it?
    thanks.

Removing links is easier than adding links . But I just take mine to the local dealer for removing , and it takes them all of 1 minute to do . They don't even charge me for it . I THINK the last chain I got was 118 , but I don't remember for sure . But if you drop a tooth in the front , I THINK you're suppsoed to shrten the chain a link (but they can only remove links by the 2 , so ) .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I bought a 120 chain for my Kat w/ stock sprockets. Its easy as heck to remove a couple links if you have a bench grinder (which is what the local dealer told me they use too).

Just grind down the pins for link you want to remove, put the link in a vise, then take a center punch and knock the pin out. Takes no more than a minute or two to do.

As far as going to 117 links for -1 front... I havent a clue but you can prob get away with just using the chain tension adjusters.
      I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
      http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

I just wasn't sure if I would have enough to adjust with a 120 chain. I am also not sure if I am going to like droping a tooth on the front. If I take the chain down to a 118 would I still have enough to go back to stock sprocket size? I guess it will be trial and error. Not so much error I hope

Comment

Originally posted by Deeder
          I just wasn't sure if I would have enough to adjust with a 120 chain. I am also not sure if I am going to like droping a tooth on the front. If I take the chain down to a 118 would I still have enough to go back to stock sprocket size? I guess it will be trial and error. Not so much error I hope
          Stock 118 link allows a number of different combos.
          Mine is down one at the front and up three at the back and I still have a 118 link.
          Bike is sold

Comment

Just cut your chain down to 118, and keep the links you removed. If all else fails and you need to go back up to 120 you can slap an extra master link in there.
            I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

thankz that sounds good.

Comment

Working...
              X