X

Chain and Sprocket Recommendations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain and Sprocket Recommendations

Took the bike in finally to get checked out and the mechanic informed me that the chain was old and stretched out. Well this kind of puts a damper on the paint and body but something I need/ wanted to do anyways. I am willing to give up top end since I dont plan on going there, in order to get better off the line (however NO stunting, I dont care to wheelie). What what company do you recommend and why? Also, what would you recommend as far as sprockets go? Thank you for your help!
    Nik
    88 Katana GSX600F, 19k miles, Total Custom- Soon to be revealed!!!!!!!

Same questions, but for a 93' 750, is it any different and what do you recommend? What is stock? I don't even know if I need more low end, ha ha
    93' 750, I just washed the bugs off, let's go for a ride!

Comment

just drop a tooth on the front sprocket. If you have a 15 tooth sprocket on the front, go with 14. Don't go below that. If you already have 14 in the front, add a tooth to the rear.
      You can also drop to a 14 from a 15 on the front, and add one on the rear as well. That will give you even more torque. It is something you will have to play with to find what you want exactly. Some people go to the extreme of -1 in the front and +3 in the rear. It all depends on what you want.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I like down 1 in the front and up 2 in the rear. great for corner exiting and andhting else i want. as far as brands go I like AFAM USA Sprockets and D.I.D. Chains
        The lord is the only passenger I ride with

Comment

Do the chain and rear sprocket need to match? I looked at both sites however I was only able to find one chain listed for the 88. Also the D.I.D. site didnt list anything for the 88. A part number or direct link would be very helpful. Thanks!!
          Nik

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyMedic
            Do the chain and rear sprocket need to match? I looked at both sites however I was only able to find one chain listed for the 88. Also the D.I.D. site didnt list anything for the 88. A part number or direct link would be very helpful. Thanks!!
            Nik
            you should have no problem finding a sprocket/chain for an 88 if it is a standard 530 chain. Is it possible the 88 is like the 1100's from 88-94...and have an oddball size...which is 532 in the case of the 1100? If that is the case, go with a 532 conversion kit.

Comment

OK here is what I found out so far. Gearing is 14 front and 46 rear and uses a 520 chain. Since its an 88 there is limited rear sprockets since the hub is different than the 89-04s. Here is my new questions- the only rear sprockets you can get are the 46 OEM or 40, what does 40 do???? Is it more top end? What happens to low end with a 40, decrease? What happens if I do -2 (12) in the front and 46 OEM in the rear? Thanks for the help all! Trying to understand all this.
              Nik

Comment

a 40 in the rear will increase your top end and decrease your torque....and that will be alot in both direction dropping 6 teeth like that. you will loose alot off the line.
                dropping 2 in the front will kill your chain in no time. it is a smaller radius and hard on the chain. if 46 is the highest you can go in the rear, try to go with a 13 in the front, but I would not go any lower unless you can swing a deal by ordering a couple of extra chains with it.

Comment

ok cool, thanks for the advice will stay away from the -2 in the front. Now to order...
                  Nik

Comment

Working...
                  X