X

Wont start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wont start

I just bought a 1991 Katana 750. Its been sitting for over a year out in the weather. The guy said it ran when he parked it, but i cant get it to run. I cleaned the carbs, changed the gas and oil, put in new plugs and they all have spark. It will turn over but will not fire. It dont seem like it has enough compression. Could you PLEASE help me out i need to get this thing running ASAP. Everything you reply with willbe greatly apprecciated

Re: Wont start

Originally posted by Katana750
    I just bought a 1991 Katana 750. Its been sitting for over a year out in the weather. The guy said it ran when he parked it, but i cant get it to run. I cleaned the carbs, changed the gas and oil, put in new plugs and they all have spark. It will turn over but will not fire. It dont seem like it has enough compression. Could you PLEASE help me out i need to get this thing running ASAP. Everything you reply with willbe greatly apprecciated
    From what you have written here the first thing I would start with would be to check the exact compression of each cylinder by using a compression tester screwed into the spark plug hole... Check to see if all the cylinders have the same or close compression. If there is an extreme difference between cylinders then it would be bad rings...

Comment

if an engine sits for a long period of time, the rings can stick...and trying to start it can cause them to break. do the compression test like ghost says, then do it again with a bit of oil added to each cylinder. If you see a slight boost (5lbs or so) in compression across all cylinders, that is normal. If you see a big boost (say anything over 10lbs), then it is a sign of worn rings. If one cylinder doesn't register as big a boost as the rest, it could be a sign that that ring is broke.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Also, try it again with the airbox out and the muffler (& mid-pipe) off. It is possible something made a home in one of the two (nesting) and blocked it up. If it suddenly runs, you have your suspect

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

could he spray alil starting fluid in the airbox to see if it fires before going to all the trouble of a comp check or would that harm the engine?

Comment

I hope starting fluid is not too bad for the engine as this is what I had to do when I bought the Kat. What a pain in the arse it was to get her started. Once it fired up though it ran like, well shit I guess, but it was running
            89' Katana 600

Comment

Working...
            X