X

Jet kit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet kit

I have left my Katana pretty much stock, as it seems to mostly meet my needs that way. Also have a kid in college, etc. I will probably add a slip on next season. I thought I would eventually follow-up that with K&N air filter and a stage one jet kit (when I need to bring it in for a tune-up anyway) at some point.

Here's my question ... aside from $ and a slight decrease in gas mileage, has anyone seen any "downside"? Anyone who would not do it again?

Also - no Dyno nearby, but I think the travelling Dr. Dyno guy that comes to our area once a year for a local bike event (just runs H.P. numbers, no real service stuff while he's here) is in New Hampshire so I could make a trip I guess. My local shop is pretty good, but I have heard people say that to do it right, you need it Dyno'd. I have also heard others say, that the Dynos have no real world resistance, and don't do a better job than a mechanic that know's what he is doing. Any comments?

If Special K was in the neighborhood, I'd take it there in a second, but I'm quite a ways away in Vermont! What do you think??? Chris
    Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
    Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Only downside (besides spending the $$$) I can think of is the time and tinkering you gotta do to get everything right . Maybe this'll help...

Click the "MC tech" link then "CV carb tuning" . I could'nt link the page directly for some reason .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

just plan on pulling them a few times

( i somehow missed the main jet picture but it's pretty complete - i''m
      pulling them again this weekend to replace the mains so i'll snap another picture. )

you can skip the jet kit and shim the needles & just buy new main jets from
      factory pro.
      go buy the Radio Shack Shim Part # 64-3022A and shim the needles
      from about .03-.05"

it takes time to get it right but worth it !

tim

Comment

Special K did mine and I've no downside. It really felt like it woke the bike up.

Comment

I love mine. I have no regrets. I put a Stage I with a V&H can and a Yoshi header. I had the shop do Dyno before and after and got +13 hp after jetting & air filter change. It felt like a completely different bike when I picked it up.
          Hate is a special kind of love I have for people that suck.

http://www.nmburn.com (#73-Defensive Tackle/Offensive Guard)

Hi. :bigfinger Cram it.

Comment

I put a Hindle slipon , K&N and a Stage1.

Pros:
            1. LOTS more lowend torque!
            2. Nice throttle response from 1-6k rpm

Cons:
            1. Absolutely crappy high rpm range response.
            2. Loss of top end performance

Would I do it again. YES. Definately worth it... unless you like to pull up beside other riders on the highway and then blow them away... but on a Kat you're probably not looking to do that anyway.

Comment

[quote="trinc"]you can skip the jet kit and shim the needles & just buy new main jets from
              factory pro.
              from about .03-.05"
              /quote]

................main thing this idea is missing is the different taper on the air needles - those make a BIG difference! The stock needles have a fatter diameter and a different taper for most of their profile............

and the better jet kits have slightly stronger springs for the top of the carbs (air side), which helps too

Also, the better kits normally have about 4 sets of jets!!!

and don't forget those allen head bolts, although those can be gotten at any good bolt place...........

and that cool sticker?
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                Cons:

what size of main jet did you install and how many turns on the air fuel screws
                it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
                Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Comment

[quote="Special K"]
                  Originally posted by trinc
                  you can skip the jet kit and shim the needles & just buy new main jets from
                  factory pro.
                  from about .03-.05"
                  /quote]

................main thing this idea is missing is the different taper on the air needles - those make a BIG difference! The stock needles have a fatter diameter and a different taper for most of their profile............

and the better jet kits have slightly stronger springs for the top of the carbs (air side), which helps too

Also, the better kits normally have about 4 sets of jets!!!

and don't forget those allen head bolts, although those can be gotten at any good bolt place...........

and that cool sticker?

all true. but holeshot sells a shim with their kit saying the factory needle
                  is fine. i can't state one way or the other - but i thought they dyno'd
                  a few needles and found no better performance ?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by ghelper
                    Originally posted by Junior
                    Cons:

what size of main jet did you install and how many turns on the air fuel screws
                    No idea... the Suzuki tech installed mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappy
                      I love mine. I have no regrets. I put a Stage I with a V&H can and a Yoshi header. I had the shop do Dyno before and after and got +13 hp after jetting & air filter change. It felt like a completely different bike when I picked it up.
                      Scrappy,
                      What year header is the Yoshi? I own a 2000 kat 750 and was looking for a header for mine that has a V&H slip-on.

jim
                      Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by Scrappy
                        Hi Scrappy, Good to see you here. 13HP ... that's huge! I plan to go stage 1 jetting. Do you have a K&N filter?

What is everyone putting on for Air Filters - the stock replacement ones?
                        Chris
                        Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
                        Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X