X

Spit and Sputter :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spit and Sputter :(

Well I picked up my bike last night and started it up. I had no problems starting it up. So I decided to ride it up and down the driveway. It started out fine. But after ten minutes or so it started spiting and sputtering. So I stopped the bike and shut it off. I started it back up and in neutral it would not go past 1500 RPM's . and this is at full throtle. Once in a while it would work fine. So when it worked fine I would put it in 1st and go but in first it would only go to 1500 RPM's too.
    BUT!! Some times if it woudl go higher than 3000 RPM's I would feather the clutch higher in RPM's and the biek would be fine. But it soes not always go past 1500 RPM's.

What is my problem here. does this sound like a carb problem or what?

"It is no the speed that kills you. It is the sudden stop." - John Prutzman R.I.P. John.

You need to give more details bud.

What year is the bike? Did you just buy it? Has it been sitting? I changed the plugs and wires? All the stuff like that ya know.
    89' Katana 600

Comment

The bike is a 90. It has been sitting for the past year. It was ridden a few times up and down the street last summer.
      i did just buy it. The previous owner said that he had the carbs cleaned last year. And I do not know when the plugs and wires were replaced last.

i hope this helps out. If you need more info i will try to furnish it.

"It is no the speed that kills you. It is the sudden stop." - John Prutzman R.I.P. John.

Comment

Does anyone have any help for me?

Comment

I'd say it has problems . He SAID the carbs were cleaned , but maybe there's something wrong with them still . Or maybe the coils/wires/plugs are messed up . Only one way to find out .... Better pick up a shop manual , I think you just might need it .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have the suzuki Service Manual. I am going to replace the plugs and wires soon. Just in case this is the problem. Should I have the carbs cleaned again just for the hell of it?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemcw
              I have the suzuki Service Manual. I am going to replace the plugs and wires soon. Just in case this is the problem. Should I have the carbs cleaned again just for the hell of it?
              Do not remove the carbs until after you tried new plugs and wires. The bike is 15 years old, so it is very possible the plugs and wires are shot. Do it in steps to save money. It could only be a bad plug, so go with that first. If the problem is still there, do the wires. If niether of them improve it, have the coils tested. If none of that works, then go to the carbs. Start with the cheapest fix first. No sense dumping $2-300 into a bunch of work just cuz of a bad plug.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I'm going to go with an even simpler direction to start:

Are you still using the old fuel? If so, dump it out, check the tank for rust and get new fuel. If you find rust, see CyberPoet's "How to deal with rust in your motorcycle gas tank" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, home of the finest American-built security ground anchor!

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  I'm going to go with an even simpler direction to start:

Are you still using the old fuel? If so, dump it out, check the tank for rust and get new fuel. If you find rust, see CyberPoet's "How to deal with rust in your motorcycle gas tank" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, home of the finest American-built security ground anchor!

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I keep forgetting that method cuz I never do it.
                  I can't stand emptying a tank. It is more damn work than changing the plugs...lol. So if I suspect my gas is bad, I usually just top it off with fresh gas and add a can of octane boost and burn it out instead of emptying. Might not be the ideal way, but I just find it easier than dumping the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                    I can't stand emptying a tank. It is more damn work than changing the plugs...lol.
                    I just put a length of fuel line on at the petcock (in place of the stock line) and stick the other end into a gas can, then set the petcock to prime. All the gas runs into the gas can... Figuring out what to do with it after that is the annoying part

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Originally posted by Mojoe
                      I can't stand emptying a tank. It is more damn work than changing the plugs...lol.
                      I just put a length of fuel line on at the petcock (in place of the stock line) and stick the other end into a gas can, then set the petcock to prime. All the gas runs into the gas can... Figuring out what to do with it after that is the annoying part

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      If I could go that route, I probably would not mind it so much. However, my petcock is void of any valve to set it to reserve or prime. The petcock is way under the tank and even disconnecting the hoses amounts to nothing. My tank has to be removed from the bike and either turned upside down to drain (requiring the equivelent of a 45gallon drum sized opening to catch the mess), or remove the petcock completely which is not a practical option.....hense saying, "to hell with it...burn it out".

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I will replace the plugs anyways just for maintance isues ans I will check the gas tank.

When this happens it acts like it is bogging down. Like I am in a higher gear than it can handle. But I am in neutral or first when it happenes.

Another question!
                        What octane are you running in your bike?

Comment

If your bike's stock , you should be fine with 87 .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

could it be the choke cable/mechanism? since it ran fine for ten minutes the choke could be stuck.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I will replace the plugs anyways just for maintance isues ans I will check the gas tank.
                              Let us know what the plugs look like when you get them out (a pic would be cool).

When this happens it acts like it is bogging down. Like I am in a higher gear than it can handle. But I am in neutral or first when it happenes.
                              If it was fine and then suddenly went down-hill, I suspect rust or bad fuel (basically, something coming along and plugging up the jets & ruining the carb reliability).

Good Luck!
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X