X

Having some horrible noise from fiancee's 250 ninja

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well,
    Took the engine out last night, took the head off tonite...and the only damage we could find is the timing chain guide has snapped, which might explain how the chain jumped a couple teeth...

also, the end of the both camshafts (near the sprocket side) have nice chips taken out of the round parts. but nothing to deter the cams from spinning

Sooo we couldnt get the head back on over the pistons, in turn, we bent the piston rings...so we took the rings off just to temp. slide the head back on, we will have to order some if we decide to repair.

What do you all think?
    is it worth the trouble of fixing? or do i just get a diff. motor.
    Im afraid that it will leak oil from a gasket, or bolt when we r complete if i do it myself

Comment

Well, if you already have it torn down, then you have half the work completed already! It makes sense to simply continue and fix it...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, I agree. Just get the parts and go for it. It will be a lot cheaper than getting a new engine, and plus you will know what the hell is going on in the future with your experiance of tearing the engine apart.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

i looked into getting new camshafts bc the ends were chipped, they r 170 a piece!!!
          ouch

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
            i looked into getting new camshafts bc the ends were chipped, they r 170 a piece!!!
            ouch
            Is that mail-order or local-dealer? If you're not sourcing parts through one of the on-line sources (ronayers.com, bikebandit.com), then you could be paying a good 20 to 40% more than you should be...

As for the cams, if they are still in good shape in general, you might want to consider sending them to a machine shop to be balanced instead -- they'll add metal and trim metal as needed to balance them out again (smoother than new even).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good news everyone,

I picked up an 03 ninja 250 engine with 4800 miles on it recently...$375

Put it in over the weekend, and I'll tell ya, this is how a ninja is supposed to run!
              Sounds great, runs great, no leaks, no problems.

Any case, we sold the old engine for a mere $100 today to a man from new jersey. He races for land speed records, so this is his newest project.

Just thought id fill everyone in!

Comment

Working...
              X